Loopback causing blacklisted ont

• Thread starter Thread starter orrville
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 12,342
ISP
BSNL
I have bsnl ftth and Hathway coaxial broadband connections. Both are connected to TP-Link r600vpn. Hathway works fine. Bsnl router/GPON gets blacklisted due to loopback detection on bsnl side. This causes pon light to go off and no network.
Lco said this is because if using it in bridge mode and connecting to R600vpn. Has asked me to not use bridge mode. Which makes this connection useless as all my network is through R600vpn.

any ideas why loopback might be happening?

I have not been able to setup with pppoe on bsnl router and putting wan port on R600vpn on static ip, any suggestions on how to set this up?

btw, lco had tried multiple routers, syro, optilink, dbctech, Digisol. All have same issue. And hence blaming R600vpn.

Could this be because both R600vpn and optical routers are in same subnet? 192.168.1.x? Will it help if they are assigned different ranges, say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1?

Does the issue still persist? I've been facing the same issue since Jan of this year, I even replaced my TP-Link Archer C6 which was under warranty as the LCO told me to no avail, I'm about to dump this Syrotrash and bring home a new Xpon ONU.

Last edited:
As I said, it keeps happening intermittently. He tried changing ONU multiple times. No luck. Please update if you find a solution.

Does the issue still persist? I've been facing the same issue since Jan of this year, I even replaced my TP-Link Archer C6 which was under warranty as the LCO told me to no avail, I'm about to dump this Syrotrash and bring home a new Xpon ONU.
you've configured Archer C6 , which has only 1 wan port, with two wan connections? how? (i imagine it's possible, with say openwrt, but not with their firmware. i feel your issue is different from OP's who has 2 wans. maybe you could open a different thread for your issue - elaborating your problem a bit more - bridge mode, what config etc?)

Could this be because both R600vpn and optical routers are in same subnet? 192.168.1.x? Will it help if they are assigned different ranges, say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1?
(don't have this router, don't have two WANs, so feel free to ignore but)

pppoe setup starts with a broadcast. so when you switch the R600vpn on, it broadcasts on the connected WAN interfaces for any pppoe server. since you say the router + modems/gpons are on the same subnet (192.168.1.1/24), both pppoe requests (one for hathway, one for bsnl) get sent over both WANs (I think; you can verify with wireshark if you are curious) since they are broadcast i.e sent to 192.168.1.255. and may be that kind of leaking(?) continues even after ppp connection setup and somehow messes up bsnl connection - a packet, say pppoe ping for hathway, which is actually broadcast, ends up going to BSNL too?

so yeah, what happened with separate subnets for each connection? that should stop pkts crossing over. it might look like

Code:
bsnl gpon -    192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.0.0  \
                                              r600vpn WAN1 - pppoe,
                                              r600vpn WAN2 - pppoe
hatway gpon -  192.168.2.1 mask 255.255.0.0  /

r600vpn LAN - 172.16.1.1 mask 255.255.0.0

(note: with this, you can't reach the gpons from your pc without setting up some static routes on the gpons and r600vpn)

@hemant thanks for responding

After my post few months, I did change the network to following. But the problem still keeps happening.

Code:
bsnl GPON -    192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0                 \
                                                                 r600vpn WAN1 - pppoe,
                                                                 r600vpn WAN2 - Dynamic IP
hathway modem (defaults) -  192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0    /

r600vpn LAN - 172.168.50.1 mask 255.255.255.0

Think this should avoid the broadcast? correct? Any suggestions are welcome, I am open to try it out.

FYI, Hathway is connected via Dynamic IP from the r600VPN.

OLT will block the ONT if it detects a rogue DHCP server, which might be happening in your case.

If the GPON is configured in bridge mode, it doesn't matter which subnet or IP it is assigned. PPPoE broadcast, discovery and authentication will take place on the assigned interface.

This probably seems like a bug in TP-Link firmware.
Did you try interchanging WAN ports?

Back