Loopback causing blacklisted ont

• Thread starter Thread starter orrville
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 12,349
i just realised that even in that config, broadcast pkts will still get sent over both links. next idea i've got is to try with vlans. here's tplink faq for r600. add lan port + bsnl wan port to vlan1, add lan port + hathway wan port to vlan2. or if adding lan port isn't possible, just put the two wan ports into two vlans.

edit: this page says wans automatically get assigned to vlans so this is done by the router already.

Last edited:
the faq you just posted specifies dividing a LAN using VLANs, not WAN.

Yes, that's correct. On assigning a new WAN interface, that particular port is set to a new VLAN untagged traffic, that's how the same network switch is used for different physical networks.

Check VLAN assignments for both the WAN ports, it shouldn't be the same.

Quick question: Does BSNL require VLAN for PPPoE?

yeah, that page is for multiple routers. but applies here too (wan/lan is just terminology to help us conceptually separate ports, not something inherent to/physical aspect of the port). i was trying to ensure port isolation here which is what vlans help achieve. though as i said, apparently this router does this for each wan automatically.

you've configured Archer C6 , which has only 1 wan port, with two wan connections? how? (i imagine it's possible, with say openwrt, but not with their firmware. i feel your issue is different from OP's who has 2 wans. maybe you could open a different thread for your issue - elaborating your problem a bit more - bridge mode, what config etc?)
Yeah, sorry for not being specific, the issue I'm facing is quite similar to OP's issue. The OLT block/blacklists the ONT(in bridge mode) whenever the router tries to tries to connect through PPPoE. It was running fine with no issues since October 2020.
The LCO told me a loopback is causing it to happen and deemed my router as the culprit as the same issue happened when he installed another ONT. I got it replaced under warranty, used the same setup and the ONT got blacklisted again. Now he's placed a plain non combo ONT on PPPoE as it doesn't have bridge mode and I'm using the C6 on access point mode, he told he's gonna bring a new ONT and test it out again.

an easy thing, @Megatronus66, would be for you to post the config file editing out passwords/mac etc so we can check for causes, but TP-Link does stupid stuff to obfuscate it. if you can, try decrypting it - some possible methods - remove sensitive data and post it somewhere like Dropbox for us to look at.

otherwise you need to explain what you mean when you say
used the same setup
strongly suggest new thread since this'll clutter OP's issue

OLT will block the ONT if it detects a rogue DHCP server, which might be happening in your case.

If the GPON is configured in bridge mode, it doesn't matter which subnet or IP it is assigned. PPPoE broadcast, discovery and authentication will take place on the assigned interface.

This probably seems like a bug in TP-Link firmware.
Did you try interchanging WAN ports?
Trying that out

Hathway wan is dynamic ip, and not pppoe. Does that also do the broadcast?

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct. On assigning a new WAN interface, that particular port is set to a new VLAN untagged traffic, that's how the same network switch is used for different physical networks.

Check VLAN assignments for both the WAN ports, it shouldn't be the same.

Quick question: Does BSNL require VLAN for PPPoE?
LCO asked to use VLAN along with user id/pwd. Never tried connecting without VLAN.

Back