Mesh Router or Repeater?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sachin23
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 89
  • Views Views 23,619
ISP
Airtel, Jio
(Have used BSNL, GTPL, Tikona, Spectra too)
Hi guys,

I do not get wifi signals in one of my rooms at the far end with the default router (BDT-121 Dual band 11AC GPON Router) that came with Airtel. I have an additional D-Link Router with me which I started using in AP mode to extend the range and it works fine.

The problem is that I now have two SSIDs and have to manually change them while moving in the house everytime - which is very inconvenient.

Did some research on the internet and I understand that using a MESH Router will solve my problem. However, since I am a novice, I would like to understand from you:

* If it is possible to solve my problem with the existing hardware that I have. It is D-Link 825ac. I also have an additional TP-Link TL-WR841N

* If not, there are a lot of mesh routers available on Amazon. Which one would you suggest - reasonably priced and good performance.

* Alternatively is there any other Router which I can purchase having good range to cover the entire house (1700 sqft) ?

Thank you in advance for the help.

P. S. - I did not find any existing thread on this topic so created a new one. In case there is one, you may link it down here please.

Make sure to connect maximum devices to 5ghz band wherever possible. Most static devices should be on 5ghz.
@anant.del help him with rt58 router. I think you use the same.
I'll try to reset and setup Asus Ac58u again. For set up, which is a better option for PPPoE, automatic or manual

Upvote 0
Ubiquiti single Mesh node is enough to cover 1500 ft . No config hassles are associated with this device. Bring Ethernet port from your GPON or repeat your existing Wifi . It does it all ... Has Advanced configuration of a High end router if u need to get some hands dirty in configuring it according to your needs and supports around 2 Gbps

Upvote 0
@shashankb Can you pl be specific with the particular model. Unless we setup Huawei in bridge mode, I don't think we can get full control of any router we use. How different is this here in this scenario. The other option left. Is only using our router in ACcess point which doesn't utilise it to its full potential. Access point limits its other functionality.

I'm tired of the bridge mode due to frequent disconnections. I'll check till tomorrow for any possible solution for the disconnections and if no proper solution in sight, will configure Asus as Access point and Huawei back to router mode from bridge mode.

Upvote 0
@Venkata Ramesh Chandra V Seems your Asus router is supported by openwrt. With openwrt you will be able to access the bridged Huawei modem following this.

Openwrt is an excellent firmware but you need to be familiar with linux. If you are not, you probably want to take somebody's help in flashing the firmware.

Reading your previous messages, it seems you are not sure whether the disconnections is due to Huawei or Asus. I suggest whenever you get a disconnection, connect your computer with an ethernet/LAN cable to the Asus router and check if you are still getting internet. You should be able to see on the Asus router whether the PPPoE connection is still up.
  • If it is then your Asus router has a flaky wifi radio (maybe interference issues). Check if the wifi channel is optimum.
  • If not then Huawei may be dropping the connection which in my experience is very unlikely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll try to reset and setup Asus Ac58u again. For set up, which is a better option for PPPoE, automatic or manual
I ll prefer manual. But if you are not comfortable then try automatic too.
If everything is on 5ghz then shift some devices to 2.4ghz those which dont require intensive bandwidth. 10 devices are not much for device like ac58u.

Upvote 0
Where are you trying to enter it?
Wan is obviously automatic. Its is obtained each time pppoe is dialed by router.

Upvote 0
@Venkata Ramesh Chandra V I think you got it mixed up what @igloo was trying to suggest. I think he was referring to the setup wizard being done manually.

I dont own an Asus router, so googled for a screenshot. You need the 'Get the WAN IP automatically' to be 'Yes'.

1595138552110.webp

Upvote 0

Back