MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 263,933
For me its still running at snail pace. Right now getting dial up modem speed :D

PS: I am not on 8mbps speed. I am not 700-800kbps plan

Finally speed back to normal.. full day wasted as nothing much really worked.

it has been crap since morning seems normal now. this crazy stuff has started since last week or so. goes bad during the day at random and is back to normal at night. load handling problem?

Yep seems so. Either load handling is bad OR the bandwidth bought by MTNL is insufficient / reached saturation point.

Not to forget that MTNL just showed 730 crore loss in Q3!

For me its still running at snail pace. Right now getting dial up modem speed :D

PS: I am not on 8mbps speed. I am not 700-800kbps plan

If you notice its not the speed that is hampered, its the connection which is unstable and won't load a single page completely.
So which plan are you on? Just curious.

it has been crap since morning seems normal now. this crazy stuff has started since last week or so. goes bad during the day at random and is back to normal at night. load handling problem?

Lastweek's complaint led to multiple calls from them asking 'Internet chalu aahey ka?' and lineman showed up checking the line.
He said ( I am not 100% sure he understood what he was saying) "this is the problem at the servers, after all plans being shifted to 2Mbps and many users opting to go higher speeds the servers trip out and restart randomly, the 'server experts' at the 'server office' are trying to 'install latest softwares' to handle this."
Also he most of the internet guys are being shifted to get the fibre installations and its infrastructure better so that sooner or later all could be shifted/moved/upgrade to fiber and tri-band could only be the default internet one gets.

P.S. : After using tri-band non-stop for almost 8-9 years, I have applied for fiber last month ( end of jan). The process has already started, I been assigned a new number and a work order copy. I been told it would take 2-3 months to get it started. So whenever I visit my exchange or talk to lineman, they keep talking about fiber being stable all time and how many fiber installations are been done in and around my exchange etc etc. as they know I am switching to it.

Yep seems so. Either load handling is bad OR the bandwidth bought by MTNL is insufficient / reached saturation point.

Not to forget that MTNL just showed 730 crore loss in Q3!

True, Load handling is probably bad. And don't worry I don't think govt. companies would have problem with the bandwidth allocation. And psst.. losses aren't going to stop them or affect their services brah. Govt. will keep pumping more money in BSNL and MTNL no matter what, ,mainly because its becomes easy for policy makers to trust on their run services to run something new in the country than to let any third-party contractor or org run something new and mess it up.

I doubt that server reboot theory is right!!

If server reboots then our triband session should also stop for 2-3 minutes. And also disconnect and start a new connection.

But here session was NOT disconnecting and there were ping drops but not for more than 10 seconds.

If you get Fibre, you would be put on New Shitcatel server which has exactly the same problem we had yesterday for few hrs. Just that on Shitcatel, the problem is 24 x 7. I talked to the server guy and he said that Shitcatel system is just 20% utilized and they are trying to get as many people to shift to it. Great!!

These days the problem is I remain connected to gateway, I have an IP address but internet activity stops. Then if I reboot my modem/router, it won't connect for 1-2 hrs. Once it connects after that, webpages will not load correctly or load partially.

Finally he admitted that Shitcatel system is not configured correctly and it has aggressive throttling which renders internet useless on tablets or mobiles connected through wifi. He tried to contact Alcatel support in Bengaluru. The support engineer had come to Prabhadevi exchange but they could not replicate the problem as it was not recognized as a problem to begin with. The engineer was like "Yes saar the internet is working sir. What is the problem sir?" So the guys at Prabhadevi are NOT looking in to this timeout problem plaguing New Alcatel system. For them, everything is alright.

But, if you use VPN in your router, the same sites which were not loading correctly will load perfectly as if there is no problem.

I normally connect to SOTL gateway 120.62.0.1
When I find the webpages are not loading fully or some sites refusing to load outright, I check modem page and I am connected to gateway 120.62.32.1 which is New Alcatel gateway.

I can deduce that SOTL system is getting unstable these days because of far too many connections. When server hangs, MTNL diverts all their traffic through other gateway which is New Alcatel or Shitcatel.

Edit: MTNL is doing a nasty thing like switching gateway to 120.62.32.1 during day time. Now sites are not opening up for me.

Last edited:
Same thing happened last night........ 12:07AM Net just stopped working without dc....... I manually disconnected..... Got IP at 2:45AM according to router log..... :giggle:

But, if you use VPN in your router, the same sites which were not loading correctly will load perfectly as if there is no problem.

I normally connect to SOTL gateway 120.62.0.1
When I find the webpages are not loading fully or some sites refusing to load outright, I check modem page and I am connected to gateway 120.62.32.1 which is New Alcatel gateway.

I can deduce that SOTL system is getting unstable these days because of far too many connections. When server hangs, MTNL diverts all their traffic through other gateway which is New Alcatel or Shitcatel.

Hi, so if i use VPN will it solve my issue i m having with xbox one games not downloading properly since 2 weeks? Its keeps going on qued or installation stops. This is not because of disconnects as my net is still alive when all this happens, i even open the ports for my xbox one on my router using UPNP.

Thanks..

Hi, so if i use VPN will it solve my issue i m having with xbox one games .........

Thanks..
Yes but buy a good VPN service which you can use in your modem. But internet banking and email sites will start giving you trouble as they are IP based on a particular country.

Using VPN will double or triple your pings and say good bye to multiplayer gaming. Such *hitty workarounds should never be needed when one is paying Rs. 1500 and upwards for internet. I pay 2350 per month and feel terrible when I don't get my money's worth.

Edit: Connecting once again to SOTL gateway 120.62.0.1 and speedtest and browsing web pages has returned to somewhat normal.

4141774249.png

Back