MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 263,901
Okay. In that case, would the phone line itself also not be down or malfunctioning? That seems to be fine more or less. Anyway, will chase the lineman.

Since you live in a building/society - you can try these
  1. In case your modem is not connected to the phone line at the first point of entry of the wire into the house, then try disconnecting all phones, and plug in your modem into another socket in the house other than the one generally used. If problem is fixed - then you have a bad connection/line inside your house
  2. If (1) doesn't work, then try and plug in the ADSL modem directly at the first point of entry of the wire in the house (typically near your switchboard).
  3. If problem persists, then follow the wire to the junction box (either in the ground floor near the electrical box, or on the terrace), and see if you can identify your wire. This is where you take your linesman's help and ask him to make a new connection.
Needless to say, record SNR values/stability before and after each step to monitor improvement.

ADSL problem solving takes patience :speechless:

Since you live in a building/society - you can try these
  1. In case your modem is not connected to the phone line at the first point of entry of the wire into the house, then try disconnecting all phones, and plug in your modem into another socket in the house other than the one generally used. If problem is fixed - then you have a bad connection/line inside your house
  2. If (1) doesn't work, then try and plug in the ADSL modem directly at the first point of entry of the wire in the house (typically near your switchboard).
  3. If problem persists, then follow the wire to the junction box (either in the ground floor near the electrical box, or on the terrace), and see if you can identify your wire. This is where you take your linesman's help and ask him to make a new connection.
Needless to say, record SNR values/stability before and after each step to monitor improvement.

ADSL problem solving takes patience :speechless:

Okay, I've tried (1) and (2) above. Seemed to work for a bit when I tried a different socket (though not the one at the first point of entry into the house), but then crapped out after about an hour and refused to work at all in any socket. That was yesterday. All through today it has been up and down, but more up than down. SNRs have been in the region of 2-7 most times. For the last three hours or so I haven't had a disconnection. SNR currently shows as 5.8 (up) and 3.6 (down). Also, attenuation has been around 49, which is good, I think? Are poor attenuation figures a cause or effect of bad connections? Previously they used to be in the 20s, when the line was bad.

Anyway, the lineman is supposed to be coming over tomorrow, and if he doesn't find anything wrong, I guess I'll ask MTNL to change my data rates as you suggested before. Thanks.

Is this plan only available to new customers? On enquiry I was told by MTNL staff that plan change to this plan (Freedom unltd 1495 and other 8 mbps plan) was not allowed? I am currently on 2 mbps unltd plan MTNL

It is available to all MTNL customers. Depending on what plan you currently are on, for the first change, you may have to go to the exchange and put in a request.

Before you do that, I highly recommend going to MTNL Mumbai - Customer SelfCare Portal : Online Book Landline, Broadband and other services and attempt changing the plan online. Change to ANY 8 Mbps plan, further changes are easy after a month. You will also get a work order number that way for easy follow up.

Okay, I've tried (1) and (2) above. Seemed to work for a bit when I tried a different socket (though not the one at the first point of entry into the house), but then crapped out after about an hour and refused to work at all in any socket. That was yesterday. All through today it has been up and down, but more up than down. SNRs have been in the region of 2-7 most times. For the last three hours or so I haven't had a disconnection. SNR currently shows as 5.8 (up) and 3.6 (down). Also, attenuation has been around 49, which is good, I think? Are poor attenuation figures a cause or effect of bad connections? Previously they used to be in the 20s, when the line was bad.

Anyway, the lineman is supposed to be coming over tomorrow, and if he doesn't find anything wrong, I guess I'll ask MTNL to change my data rates as you suggested before. Thanks.

@evilpoodle , your rates are still very poor. How far away from the exchange are you? Attenuation is also very high (which is bad).
From your symptoms, I think you have a bad connection at the junction box. Ask the linesman to make a new joint/connection there.

It is available to all MTNL customers. Depending on what plan you currently are on, for the first change, you may have to go to the exchange and put in a request.

Before you do that, I highly recommend going to MTNL Mumbai - Customer SelfCare Portal : Online Book Landline, Broadband and other services and attempt changing the plan online. Change to ANY 8 Mbps plan, further changes are easy after a month. You will also get a work order number that way for easy follow up.
I am from Delhi. I tried changing plan online but could not find this plan listed.

BTW My line stats are: Can it hold 8 mbps?

MErafAt.jpg

Last edited:
@evilpoodle , your rates are still very poor. How far away from the exchange are you? Attenuation is also very high (which is bad).
From your symptoms, I think you have a bad connection at the junction box. Ask the linesman to make a new joint/connection there.

I'm about 1km straight line, about 1.4 by road. Yes, still waiting on the elusive lineman. This is the box out on the road, not in the building, right?

Finally got hold of the lineman and he fiddled with the wires down in the building box, and then some more in the house, where he opened up a panel and duct-taped some stuff together. SNR has improved to 8.3 and 16, and attenuation is down to 21 and 34 (from 49 earlier). Data rates back to 2095 and 8192. Speedtest gives a ping of 7, 4.4 download and 1.2 upload. I suppose that's as much of a happy ending as I can expect for now. Thanks @enkay for your help.

I am from Delhi. I tried changing plan online but could not find this plan listed.

BTW My line stats are: Can it hold 8 mbps?

MErafAt.jpg
Your line wont support 8Mbps..... Simple rule is when on 2Mbps...... Downstream SNR should be above 30dB.... Downstream Line Atten should be below 30dB..... Max Rate should be above 15000..... then u can apply for 8Mbps

Your line wont support 8Mbps..... Simple rule is when on 2Mbps...... Downstream SNR should be above 30dB.... Downstream Line Atten should be below 30dB..... Max Rate should be above 15000..... then u can apply for 8Mbps
Thanks for the reply. Can I get 4 mbps then? or better is there any way to better my line stats? Distance of my residence from exchange is around 1.5 Km

Back