MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 263,903
Any chance you'd have the stats from before (from when it was working fine)?

Unfortunately not. I've monitored them some more, and yesterday there were two or three patches where the line was up for up to almost 40 minutes each time. In those periods, the SNR values have been between -7.6 at the lowest and 13.5 at the highest. The CRC figure has been between 11 at the lowest and 28500 at the highest. The data rate has fluctuated too: mostly 2048/8192, but occasionally also 1501/7538, 928/8128 and 1613/7569.

When I say the line used to work fine previously - I would get about 4.9Mbps on speedtest on average on my laptop. Oddly, at the same times, I would get 6.9 on my phone. Over the last month or so, I got about 6.9 on the laptop as well. For about the last three months, I've had occasionally dropouts while streaming music to my wifi speaker, which I now realise has probably been due to the poor line. Apart from that, everything has been mostly fine - Youtube, downloads, regular browsing etc.

Not sure what the options are. Will switching to a 4Mbps plan help, given the line is so poor? Is there anything else I need to ask MTNL to do?

Thanks

Also, even when the line is down, if I'm connected to the wifi network, the signal strength shows as excellent on my laptop and phone - though there is no internet, of course.

Is this plan only available to new customers? On enquiry I was told by MTNL staff that plan change to this plan (Freedom unltd 1495 and other 8 mbps plan) was not allowed? I am currently on 2 mbps unltd plan MTNL

@evilpoodle, You will need to do some systematic testing. Look at your SNR margin values at different times of the day. Try and relate them to any appliance switching ON/OFF. (ADSL is known to be sensitive to Microwave Ovens, and certain malfunction electrical part of household equipments).

I would suggest going to your main box (where the MTNL line comes into your building), and directly hooking up your router there to see SNR margins. Your data rate fluctuation is normal for a low-SNR line.

Switching to 4 Mbps will definitely restore your SNR margins (which is essential for a stable connection). On your current plan, you could ask MTNL to decrease your profile to 6 Mbps down/2 Mbps up. Before this - you need to ensure that your MTNL wire hasn't physically been moved (case of bad connector/connection).

Thanks. I have monitored at various times during the day and it definitely does not correlate to activity relating to any other appliances. The line has effectively been dead - the ADSL and internet lights do not glow or blink on the router about 85% of the time. Is that consistent with very poor SNR stats?

Will give the other stuff a shot. Is it 12540 I need to call to change the profile?

Do you live in a building/society or an independent house? Can you identify points where wire connection could have been made by simply twisting 2 wires together (like a tie-rod)?

@evilpoodle, You will need to do some systematic testing. Look at your SNR margin values at different times of the day. Try and relate them to any appliance switching ON/OFF. (ADSL is known to be sensitive to Microwave Ovens, and certain malfunction electrical part of household equipments).

I would suggest going to your main box (where the MTNL line comes into your building), and directly hooking up your router there to see SNR margins. Your data rate fluctuation is normal for a low-SNR line.

Switching to 4 Mbps will definitely restore your SNR margins (which is essential for a stable connection). On your current plan, you could ask MTNL to decrease your profile to 6 Mbps down/2 Mbps up. Before this - you need to ensure that your MTNL wire hasn't physically been moved (case of bad connector/connection).

Yes 12540 is the right number. However, don't call them just as yet. If your lights are completely dying out, then it is a case of a loose connection for sure. You just need to identify that this connection isn't in your box/home etc. You could do this yourself if you like, or call your linesman to re-connect all joints for a small chai paani.

Do you live in a building/society or an independent house? Can you identify points where wire connection could have been made by simply twisting 2 wires together (like a tie-rod)?

A building (society). The connection is properly wired, as far as I know, since it has worked for years without any trouble of the sort I'm currently having, but I'll need to take a look I suppose. Doesn't help that I don't know the first thing about any of this!

Yes 12540 is the right number. However, don't call them just as yet. If your lights are completely dying out, then it is a case of a loose connection for sure. You just need to identify that this connection isn't in your box/home etc. You could do this yourself if you like, or call your linesman to re-connect all joints for a small chai paani.

Okay. In that case, would the phone line itself also not be down or malfunctioning? That seems to be fine more or less. Anyway, will chase the lineman.

Back