MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 263,901
Thanks for the reply. Can I get 4 mbps then? or better is there any way to better my line stats? Distance of my residence from exchange is around 1.5 Km
Either they have taken a very long route to your place...... or line quality is bad...

I am 1.2Km by road from exchange..... and my stats were a lot better than yours when I had 2Mbps..... so your stats can be better by improving line quality..... but that depends whether the lines man is helpful or not.....

My stats on 2Mbps
ZC90Ged.jpg

4Mbps will be stable

Finally got hold of the lineman and he fiddled with the wires down in the building box, and then some more in the house, where he opened up a panel and duct-taped some stuff together. SNR has improved to 8.3 and 16, and attenuation is down to 21 and 34 (from 49 earlier). Data rates back to 2095 and 8192. Speedtest gives a ping of 7, 4.4 download and 1.2 upload. I suppose that's as much of a happy ending as I can expect for now. Thanks @enkay for your help.
Clearly a wiring problem then. Glad it is sorted out. It is a very good feeling when ADSL works (although it is about time the technology disappeared from Metros)

Feasability? 1.3/4 km by Road on Google Maps

Code:
    Downstream    Upstream   
SNR Margin
:
29.6    20.3    db
Line Attenuation
:
30.0    16.6    db
Data Rate
:
2048    508    kbps
Attainable Rate
:
19504    1240    kbps

Additional with CRC Info. I just placed an order with MTNL 1500 and told them I had verified with Technical Team already (didnt do so).

Is there some way to check.

Code:
Downstream    Upstream   
SNR Margin
:
29.4    17.1    db
Line Attenuation
:
30.0    16.6    db
Data Rate
:
2048    508    kbps
Attainable Rate
:
19256    1216    kbps
POWER
:
0.0    -1.6    dbm
CRC
:
4    65504

Last edited:
Clearly a wiring problem then. Glad it is sorted out. It is a very good feeling when ADSL works (although it is about time the technology disappeared from Metros)

Yeah. It's a wonder my line doesn't go bust more often, considering what a rat's nest of wires it is downstairs, out in the open, more or less exposed to the elements.

Thing is, I used to get 6.9Mbps down off and on before – though the line was more unstable. Now, after he's done his stuff, it's 4.6 tops. I can see that my data rate is now stable at 8192 down and 2045 up, so my profile is as it should be under the 8Mbps plan. Wondering if I should get the lineman back and ask him to spruce things up a bit more so I can get my SNR up a little and bring the attenuation numbers down.

With the same profile, your SNR should have improved (and hence your speed). Ensure you are testing to the same server on speed test.

With the same profile, your SNR should have improved (and hence your speed). Ensure you are testing to the same server on speed test.

Not sure what's going on there, but my speeds have definitely not improved. Previously I used to sporadically get up to 6.9 Mbps. Now in the 36-odd hours since the line was fixed. I've been stuck at 4.6 tops (and yes, I'm testing to the same server). SNR figures are steady at around 8 (up) and 16 (down), and attenuation is around 21 and 34. I'm on the 120.62 server. The line is more stable now, but speeds are down. In two minds about calling the lineman back again in case he ends up messing up what I have at the moment.

Not sure what's going on there, but my speeds have definitely not improved. Previously I used to sporadically get up to 6.9 Mbps. Now in the 36-odd hours since the line was fixed. I've been stuck at 4.6 tops (and yes, I'm testing to the same server). SNR figures are steady at around 8 (up) and 16 (down), and attenuation is around 21 and 34. I'm on the 120.62 server. The line is more stable now, but speeds are down. In two minds about calling the lineman back again in case he ends up messing up what I have at the moment.

With such an SNR, if your line is stable at this speed, just leave it alone, just so that things don't get worse.

With such an SNR, if your line is stable at this speed, just leave it alone, just so that things don't get worse.

Yep, thanks. Is there any merit in asking them to lower the down rate to about 6000? Will that boost SNR or lower attenuation? Sorry if this is all elementary - it's all new to me.

Back