MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,123
I had to call 12540 and argue with the man that even if he sets my Profile Speed to 10 Mbps, I will still get 8 Mbps as that is the port speed. Somehow he understood. Must be on some happy pills. :pill:
Man. I'm jealous :D

What's the advantage of having the profile speed as 10mbps?

AbhishekS said:
What's the advantage of having the profile speed as 10mbps?
That's right I now get exactly 8mbps download speed. However they have set my upload profile to just 1 Mbps. I might let it remain at that as they might again reduce my download profile. Lol.

Suhel said:
On Snapdeal it is for Rs 4970 http://www.snapdeal.com/product/tplink-300m-modem-mbps-wireless/1911995242?utm_source=earth_feed&utm_campaign=21_286
How is it from configuration end? similar to the router config or more complex?
Setting up is quite easy as the User guide on their site is quite clear about the setup. The only thing you need to remember is that
[SIZE=12pt]In ‘WAN Service Type’ [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Connection Type should be PPPoE (MTNL Mumbai)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]VPI = 0 & VCI = 32[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]User Name is your Tel No.&; [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Password is your CA number (found on your Tel bill.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]MTU should be 1492[/SIZE]
or see this

sanke1 said:
That's right I now get exactly 8mbps download speed. However they have set my upload profile to just 1 Mbps. I might let it remain at that as they might again reduce my download profile. Lol.
Try Annex M...... then I get full 2Mbps upload...... otherwise on Annex A it stays at 1Mbps......

x720 said:
You actually get 8mbps. Whereas my speed profile is set to 8mbps, can't exceed 7.2mbit.
Exactly. These babus and aunties just don't get it. They firmly believe that if they set the downstream data rate to, say 10240 Kbps, the customer will get 10 Mbps even though he/she has subscribed to a 8 Mbps plan. I tried a lot explaining this to them, but eventually I gave up. My downstream line rate is set to exactly 4096 Kbps because the babu thinks that I'll get more than 4 Mbps speed if he increases it to 5 Mbps. In reality I'm getting 3.6 Mbps. Luckily, airtel NOC guys know this and thus they set the line rate to 2 Mbps more than your tariff plan speed.
panzer008 said:
Try Annex M...... then I get full 2Mbps upload...... otherwise on Annex A it stays at 1Mbps......
It needs to be activated from their side. If it's not activated, then modem sync will fail. Tried this today on BSNL and airtel. Maybe things are different over there in MTNL?

panzer008 said:
It is already on annex M.

So downstream interleave delay is 6 ms. Hence a stable connection at a cost of +6 ms higher pings. I will take slightly higher pings over timeouts anyday.
This is the only thing MTNL needs to do for VDSL connections. Add Interleaving delay to the connection.

Checked just now and seems they have activated 8Mbps but i am getting speed of 6.68Mbps only
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin​
:​
6.1 7.4 db
Line Attenuation​
16.6 12.4 db
Data Rate​
8192 1021 kbps Should i ask them to increase data rate? Also looks like SNR Margin has dipped since this was activated.
Suhel said:
Checked just now and seems they have activated 8Mbps but i am getting speed of 6.68Mbps only
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin​
6.1 7.4 db
Line Attenuation​
16.6 12.4 db
Data Rate​
8192 1021 kbpsShould i ask them to increase data rate? Also looks like SNR Margin has dipped since this was activated.
Also spoke at 12450 he gave another number and that guy said they dont have 10MBbps profiles at all. They give 8 Mbps to everyone

Lol I have already been throttled on this new plan. Barely downloaded 4-5 GB. Now the pain has began.
Speedtest is giving amazing speeds. Promised post FUP speed is 1.5 Mbps on Rs. 1750 plan.
This is Vodafone Mumbai

Honesty Net Solutions:
Did Not Finish
Reliance Communications Mumbai:

Joister Infomedia Mumbai:

Netcetra London:
Did Not Finish
Singtel Singapore:

What do we have here?

Back