MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,078
enkay said:
I can get a new line, but they won't change the internal wiring of the building.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Have you tried the Hathway plan? Otherwise I think you can hire a electrician to install a separate line (away from the internal wiring) for you. Might be more feasible if you're on the lower floor :D Hope it works out for you, mate.

Suhel said:
can anyone tell me abt SOTL? what does it stand for? and how to request port change to SOTL? is it done from prabhadevi side?
I really don't know what it stands for. But it is one of the system which handles ADSL connections.
MTNL has different gateways which handle ADSL.
1. SOTL 120.XX.XX IP series (The best series. People have reported only good browsing experience including me)
2. Alcatel (old) 59.XX.XX IP series (Timeout problem)
3. Alcatel (New) 182.56.XX IP series (Timeout problem)
4. Ericsson 59.XX.XX IP series (Unconfirmed whether there is a timeout problem or not) Might explain why some guys on 59.XX series do not have timeout problem.
The Alcatel Old and New are the ones with timeout problem. But heard some rumor that yesterday's downtime was to fix the Alcatel gateways. (Might not be true and may be a general fault causing downtime)
If you are on those troubled IP series, then keep an eye on timeouts and report here.
@enkay
You need a new line. Period.

Dmanbbf said:
Ah, I see what you're saying. Have you tried the Hathway plan? Otherwise I think you can hire a electrician to install a separate line (away from the internal wiring) for you. Might be more feasible if you're on the lower floor :D Hope it works out for you, mate.
Hathway doesn't serve my building as yet (contrary to what they claimed earlier). I think I have to invest in new wiring from the box. I hope that makes a difference. 10th floor is too far up to change entire wiring.

I've been on the Ericsson gateways for as long as I can remember. No timeout issues whatsoever.

And SOTL is indeed Sterlite Optical Tech Ltd. Got it confirmed at the local exchange.

x720 said:
I've been on the Ericsson gateways for as long as I can remember. No timeout issues whatsoever.

And SOTL is indedd Sterlite Optical Tech Ltd. Got it confirmed at the local exchange.
I knew it was Sterlite but was not 100% sure. The Ericsson gateway was the first one when MTNL started ADSL services back in 2005. I was on it till June last year and I never had problems myself. But then I applied for VDSL. That was the time they changed my port to New Alcatel 182.56 series and the nightmares started.
The main problem with Alcatel series is the connection is aggressively throttled. For example: If I run a speedtest on my 8 Mbps connection:
Alcatel system: Speed will start from 6.5 Mbps and gradually increase to 7.7 Mbps max (On 10 Mbps profile)
SOTL system: Speed will jump start from 11 Mbps and gradually decrease to 8.1 Mbps (On 12 Mbps profile)
On Alcatel, If you hit FUP, the throttling is even more aggressive and internet is virtually unusuable. I never got 1.5 Mbps. Always got 1.2 or 1.1 Mbps that too after several re-tries. Most of the times the speedtest never even completed. Since desktop class browsers have more available RAM, cache and better optimisations, internet works ok with few timeouts here and there. But over wifi on tablets and mobiles, the browsers cannot be as optimised as desktop ones with cache management. So browsing becomes impossible. Random sites load partially or refuse to load outright. We have to keep hiting refresh button.
No such problems on SOTL or Ericsson. My mobile devices are again usable at home. :)

I was also on the old ericsson system since the begining of 2008 but one month back been shifted to 120.xx.xx.xx series. But the internet guy told me i have been shifted to Huawei system no serlite here

I am on VDSL 2299 plan which is no longer available.
For last 2-3 days I can not check my usage on MTNL website. I can log in, but when I click on check usage data I get blank page. Anybody else experiencing this ??

^ Yes , same with me . Can login , but cannot check usage..
I am facing another problem , my download speeds are reduced since saturday .. On speedtest it does show 7 Mbps ( which is normal I get) , but file downloads are not happening correspondingly.
I used to get speeds of 810 - 820 kBps (nearly 6.4 Mbps) , but since saturday , torrents are getting throttled to 220-230 Kbps (tried a couple of link-removed , which had good health ) .
I also tried file down from other sites , doesnt go above 700-750 kBps ...
Can the results be so different for Speedtest and file downloads ? If I complain to MTNL , will they understand this ? Thanks in advance for any help

Since the Saturdays major maintenance....... no timeouts on Ericsson 59.x.x.x ..... even this morning.....(fingers crossed)....... one of the best days in online gaming I had yesterday..... no lag whtsoevr.....
@Narendra
No speed problems..... 820-840KBps on torrents & direct downloads...... I used private torrents though......
Speedtest as u said is at 7Mbps for me too......

Back