MTNL Broadband is injecting ads on your computer pretending it's a feature

Can we create a protest against this? I just noticed it last 2 days

It cant be blocked as it is NEVER requested by the BROWSER.. on WebPage.

Its INSERTION of things by MAN IN THE MIDDLE (MTNL) without a request sent by any WebPage. So they can insert in ANY PAGE that comes through their NETWORK.

ran it on windows... there is a text based config file which went over my head.

Thats default config. All you need to do is start squid and change proxy in browser to 127.0.0.1 and port 3128

For blocking you need to add one more acl (access control list)... say create a file with domains to block and put something like this in squid.conf file: (Below INSERT YOUR OWN RULES HERE)

acl blocked_sites url_regex -i "FILE"
http_access deny blocked_sites

Replace FILE with actual location of file.

So anything you put in FILE will get blocked.

It cant be blocked as it is NEVER requested by the BROWSER.. on WebPage

It can be blocked... their site inject a script ... if you block domain/URL of script.. it will get blocked.

so why not just use the host file? :speechless:

i miss a similar proxy app that i used to use in early 90s. it had an excellent ui that let me setup the parameters. i do not even remember the name.

Host file is old and dead concept. This was when there was no DNS.

Its ok if your list of site to block is very small. Host file is text file. And as it grows system goes slow.

If you want to block ads... you can not keep on adding each ad server / website in host file.

That is when you need fast hashing proxy.

With proxy you can block by partial URLs.

Like you may want to allow www . example . com but you may not want to allow www .example .com / advertisement/

You can not do this using host file.

Plus host file will block complete domain. If you want to block just port 80 but not FTP port, host file will not come handy. But with proxy this can be done easily.

This has re-appeared in my logs! i.e. IP 203.94.227.140

What is surprising that these requests are not from my desktop browser but via mobile chrome browser.

Are they targeting only mobile phones or specific browser.

Host file is old and dead concept. This was when there was no DNS.

Its ok if your list of site to block is very small. Host file is text file. And as it grows system goes slow.

If you want to block ads... you can not keep on adding each ad server / website in host file.

I am using MVPS hosts file which has around 15,000 entries to block ad and spam domains. they keep on updating it with new domains. Of course it cant block every domain out there but it takes care of many of them and i dont feel my system being any slower than before.

so why not just use the host file? :speechless:

i miss a similar proxy app that i used to use in early 90s. it had an excellent ui that let me setup the parameters. i do not even remember the name.

no idea what app you are talking about but there is this proxy app called Proxomitron (not in development anymore but still works awesome). very light weight but quite powerful. you can do a lot of things with it. Edit request and response on the fly,block scripts ETC. great app.

It can be blocked... their site inject a script ... if you block domain/URL of script.. it will get blocked.

Sorry, but you are wrong. By blocking the domain/URL, you can only prevent the ads from displaying. MTNL's server has still intercepted the HTTP response and modified it to add their own code. They are basically doing exactly what Airtel has been caught doing recently.

Airtel is allegedly spying on you by inserting code in webpages
Airtel: We have nothing to do with “spy code” or legal notice | The Indian Express

Everyone noticed when it was Airtel, but no one seems to notice that MTNL has been doing the same since last year and continues to do so even after all the news about Airtel. Well I did find this now - After Airtel, MTNL gets slammed for violating customer privacy - but as you can see it hardly has any information.

And no, MTNL is not just targeting mobiles. Ads can appear anywhere. They have just set up their system to intercept and modify web pages infrequently. So, if you have already seen the ad once, you may not see it again for hours.

By the way, all Indian ISPs have interception capabilities since the government has mandated it and like MTNL and Airtel they can choose to misuse them whenever they want. Of course, they only work on connections that are not encrypted. But there are still many sites that do not use SSL encryption even when displaying private information like your name, address, phone number, etc. Edit: Just wanted to add that an ISP employee with the right access can intercept such information and then sell the information to third parties.

Last edited:

Back