MTNL Broadband: need best wifi router !!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter suraj_singh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 59
  • Views Views 28,228
Finally :P

Anyway, stay away from the WAG series. I'd suggest you buy this - Brand New MTNL 410TC1 Modem + Router DSL ADSL 2+ 4 lan port BSNL AIRTEL | eBay

and then look for a nice standalone wifi router. Given the speed on adsl, 150mbps or 300mbps would have no impact on your connection speed. Yes, transfer rates between devices on your network would differ, but I find the difference practically marginal.

Flipkart: Buffalo 300Mbps Wireless-N Router: Router

Excellent router for the price.

Some others -
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Netgear-N300-Wi-Fi-Wireless-N-JWNR2000-Router-WiFi-Wi-fi-/150782621498?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item231b58373a

Flipkart: Asus RT-N13U Wireless N with All-in-One Printer Server Router: Router

Wireless Speed: 300 MbpsDSL Modem Speed: 24 Mbpswhat is the meaning of this when you service provider didn't give u 2mbps speed (795 plan or above plans of mtnl) ?

Flipkart: Buffalo 300Mbps Wireless-N Router: Router

Thanks a lot everyone!

x720, is this easier to set up or cumbersome?

Also, what I was asking was if I have a device which can have max speed of 7.2 mbps using 3G than would that be the max speed for Wifi too or Wifi has no restrictions for speed (depending on the speed of the Wifi network, so if it's say 40 mbps, would that get supported on a 7.2 mbps 3.5G device)

suraj_singh: Since MTNL offers max speed of ranging from 512 kbps to 4 mbps or other, the 150 mbps / 300 mbps modem is the max speed these modems are configured for. This is similar to speed on different mobile devices (2G / 3G, LTE).

Thanks again! You're all very helpful.

Alright. Speed on WiFi depends on a combination of things. Let us consider a situation, you have a 300mbps router. Now, first of all, the wifi card on your devices needs to support 300mbps, in order to get that speed. Next, speed reduces with increasing distance. As you go farther away from the router, the signal strength reduces, causing a drop in speed. Now, this drop in speed won't be noticeable because mtnl supports a max of 4mbps (network transfer rate may drop to 11 mbps or so at large distances)The Buffalo router I've mentioned is a solid piece of equipment. Even the Asus is great. Take your pick ;)Setting either one of them up is fairly easy, and if you do encounter difficulties, we're there to help you ;)

Alright. Speed on WiFi depends on a combination of things. Let us consider a situation, you have a 300mbps router. Now, first of all, the wifi card on your devices needs to support 300mbps, in order to get that speed. Next, speed reduces with increasing distance. As you go farther away from the router, the signal strength reduces, causing a drop in speed. Now, this drop in speed won't be noticeable because mtnl supports a max of 4mbps (network transfer rate may drop to 11 mbps or so at large distances)

The Buffalo router I've mentioned is a solid piece of equipment. Even the Asus is great. Take your pick ;)
Setting either one of them up is fairly easy, and if you do encounter difficulties, we're there to help you ;)

Thanks x720.

[*]Would this cover a house area of 1,000 sq ft+?
[*]Is there any other Buffalo modem lower than this price range? I'm looking for something < Rs 2000.
[*]Any Netgear modem of similar range?
[*]If I switch from MTNL to its FTTH service or even to Airtel broadband, will the Buffalo modem function?
[*]Asus is a All-in-One Printer Server Router: Router? So what's the advantage of this over your originally suggested Buffalo modem? Asus price looks attractive too, considering its features.
[/list]
Sorry for more questions, but I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

----------

How's Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router (WNR612)?

Also just confirming but the Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router (WNR612), Buffalo 300Mbps Wireless-N Router, Asus have inbuilt modems too right and how's the warranty for each of these brands, particularly Netgear, Belkin, Asus and Buffalo?

I'm getting confused between modems and wireless routers and want to just replace my D-Link 502T modem since I've been paying Rs 50 each month and want to stop it once for all.

1. I've got both the Asus and the buffalo (for two different connections), and each one of them covers my apartment (2500 sq ft or so) adequately.
2. There is this - Flipkart: Buffalo 150Mbps Wireless-N HighPower Wireless Entry Model Router: Router . Range will be less as compared to the nfiniti one, but given it should easily cover 1000 sq or so. It doesnt support the 802.11n standard (wireless N), not a major issue.
- Flipkart: Asus RT-N12 LX Wireless Router: Router This also a very nice device in the sub 2k range, much better than the similarly priced Buffalo
3. Any reason for wanting Netgear ? I've mentioned a netgear device in my post on the previous page.
4. These are all standalone routers. I've mentioned the modem on the previous page (750 bucks). These routers will work with cable/dsl/ftth . But if you buy a modem router combo, it ll work only on dsl (mtnl/bsnl/airtel/reliance dsl)
5. That particular router has a usb port which the buffalo doesn't. The usb port can be used to connect a 3g/evdo dongle (photon/rcom/whatever), hard drives, printer etc etc.

All devices marked as routers do not have inbuilt modems. So, no, none of the devices have inbuilt modems.
All asus and buffalo devices come with 3 year warranties. Netgear comes with 2 years and Belkin devices have a lifetime warranty. BUT belkin sucks, I've suffered enough at their hands.

And, now we come to which is better and why. This is precisely why I'd asked you for a price point earlier, the netgear device you've mentioned costs 1400, while the ones I've mentioned are 1000 or so higher. Hence, you need to tell me the exact price point.

1. I've got both the Asus and the buffalo (for two different connections), and each one of them covers my apartment (2500 sq ft or so) adequately.
2. There is this - Flipkart: Buffalo 150Mbps Wireless-N HighPower Wireless Entry Model Router: Router . Range will be less as compared to the nfiniti one, but given it should easily cover 1000 sq or so. It doesnt support the 802.11n standard (wireless N), not a major issue.
- Flipkart: Asus RT-N12 LX Wireless Router: Router This also a very nice device in the sub 2k range, much better than the similarly priced Buffalo
3. Any reason for wanting Netgear ? I've mentioned a netgear device in my post on the previous page.
4. These are all standalone routers. I've mentioned the modem on the previous page (750 bucks). These routers will work with cable/dsl/ftth . But if you buy a modem router combo, it ll work only on dsl (mtnl/bsnl/airtel/reliance dsl)
5. That particular router has a usb port which the buffalo doesn't. The usb port can be used to connect a 3g/evdo dongle (photon/rcom/whatever), hard drives, printer etc etc.

All devices marked as routers do not have inbuilt modems. So, no, none of the devices have inbuilt modems.
All asus and buffalo devices come with 3 year warranties. Netgear comes with 2 years and Belkin devices have a lifetime warranty. BUT belkin sucks, I've suffered enough at their hands.

And, now we come to which is better and why. This is precisely why I'd asked you for a price point earlier, the netgear device you've mentioned costs 1400, while the ones I've mentioned are 1000 or so higher. Hence, you need to tell me the exact price point.

Oh then any suggestion for a wireless modem? If I have a D-Link 502T modem, how would these routers help me..would I have to use the router along with this modem, since the Routers above don't have inbuilt modem.

I want to stop paying Rs 50 per month and wanted to access Internet using Galaxy S / iPhone 4S, besides a desktop / Laptop. Maybe from both devices together or even when the computer is off (Wanted to keep modem always on to access Internet on Android / IPhone, since I find 3G expensive).

Since I hear a lot about Belkin, Asus, Buffalo - would like to know the best wireless modem from each. My budget is < than Rs 2000.

Thanks again for all your help. Appreciate it.

Read through my posts in this thread one more time, you'll find answers to all your questions, and as to why I've recommended you to go for a stand alone router. If you're still interested in getting a modem router combo, post back.and DO NOT go for Belkin.

x720: Would like to confirm that buying a Combo Router + Modem device will not be able to work on FTTH. Any other reason?

Also, what did you mean by 'stay away from the WAG series'?

Sanke / x720 / Anyone knowing about this modem:

https://www.flipkart.com/asus-dsl-n10e-wireless-n150-adsl-modem-router/p/itmd7xkfs6hyzmnq?pid=RTRD7XKFRCZH8TE4

I'm thinking of opting for the Asus DSL-N10E So, few questions about this:

Can this be kept on continuously - upto how many hours, since I'd expect my net connection to be on for atleast 12 hours minimum

Was the set up easy? Any Buffalo alternative (Wifi + Modem) for the same price?

Samsung Galaxy I9003 - what's the max Wifi speed I can get..how do you determine wifi-speed for any device?

Does the frequent disconnection issue get resolved..since I have tried everything from approaching GM of MTNL to technical troubleshooting listed in this forum. It seems that they auto refresh MTNL servers so that the user gets a new IP and a way to get the user FUP in an indirect way

Yes, modem router combo will not work with FTTH. Also, in the event that your device does get spoilt, you'll have to buy a combo once again. If the two (modem and router) are separate, chances of both failing together are quite limited.Asus device are generally awesome :DAny and all routers are easy to set up. I haven't switched my asus off for a long time now (a couple of months) . I've got the same phone, 4 mbps is easily achievable. No idea what max speed it supports.No idea about the frequent disconnection. Last I'd heard, mtnl auto refreshed the ip every six hours or so.

Back