MTNL Delhi MTNL Delhi updates its pre-FUP speeds to 8mbps minimum for all plans

Ya I replied to him in this thread that he would face disconnections a lot if his line is bad. So I suggested him he can try to stretch his luck to the maximum possible by requesting them to test 8mbps then 6mbps then 4mbps etc. until he receives a non-disconnecting line.

Right, so first I called customer care again, just to mention "Data Rate" and see what I kind of response I get. The agent was like you're going to either get 2 mbps or 8 mbps. There's nothing in between. So if your area can't do 8 it's stuck with 2. Lol, okay. But I don't expect much from CC anyway.

Next I shot out a few mails to some of those contacts from the link you posted. The GM and what not. I did receive a response from the GM of the exchange saying that my complaint has been forwarded to the concerned officer. Let's see how it goes.

There is a local switch room, that I usually call whenever the server is down, and they give me instant updates to the issue. I am going to ask them what they know.

Right, so first I called customer care again, just to mention "Data Rate" and see what I kind of response I get. The agent was like you're going to either get 2 mbps or 8 mbps. There's nothing in between. So if your area can't do 8 it's stuck with 2. Lol, okay. But I don't expect much from CC anyway.

Next I shot out a few mails to some of those contacts from the link you posted. The GM and what not. I did receive a response from the GM of the exchange saying that my complaint has been forwarded to the concerned officer. Let's see how it goes.

There is a local switch room, that I usually call whenever the server is down, and they give me instant updates to the issue. I am going to ask them what they know.
Good luck! Ya the switch room guys would probably understand.

@demonicult @Karan

Yo guys!

So finally manged to get a hold of the Broadband God, lol. The person that changes the rates.

At first she reduced the rate to 1 Mbps thinking that I will get better service that way. When she called to inquire about it and I saw a 1152 kbps downstream rate I nearly had a heart attack, lol okay, not really, but I almost threw a fit over the phone.

Now she's made it 4607 kbps.

B8xALyA.jpg

And this is the diagnostics test after changing the data rate.

oz9i0qC.jpg

And here is the best speed test result after a few consecutive tries.

v1gLjl4.jpg

In addition, she said that because the connection is still on copper lines so the distance from the exchange really makes a difference, which all of you already know, and that MTNL is in the "process of upgrading to Fiber". The response was so sheepish, when I asked why they aren't upgrading; like you know she's hiding something, or maybe I'm just nuts, lol. But I don't expect an upgrade anytime soon.

So yeah, clearly I'm not getting 4 Mbps speed at this data rate, so it looks like this is the best these crappy coppers wires are going to give? And based on the ADSL diagnostics, does anyone think it's better to downgrade back to 2 Mbps? Were my results better then? The SNR looks about the same, the Attentuation has gone up from 42 to 50, but what does that mean again?

Appreciate all of you taking the time to read this.

P.S. She was even okay to change it to 8 Mbps, but we agreed that I should use it at this speed for a few days to determine if it's even worth doing that.

Last edited:
400 gb if there is gonna be any fup on these 2k plans is needed now days..

@Woke
You know my answer, I already told you try from top and then go down. Try 8mbps, try for a day, you would know within few hours if you can actually get a stable connection. Then go down to 6mbps and check the same way.

Is it stable now? If 8 and 6 don't work well and if this is stable at 4, keep it that way. No need to downgrade.

Well, I guess what I'm asking is what's the point of going to 6 or 8 if I'm not even getting 4 at this data rate? I'm not even getting 3, it's 2.3 mbps tops. Unless they've throttled it in some other way this has to be attributed to the physical distance of the copper wires. The connection is more or less stable but I did notice sometimes it was taking time to connect, and the fact that attenuation went up from 42 to 50 is another indication that connection quality is moving in the wrong direction.

What modulation you use......

I have had tried G.DMT with some good experience (more stable) when line stats were bad.... my adsl stats below
-- dead tinypic image removed --

Well, I guess what I'm asking is what's the point of going to 6 or 8 if I'm not even getting 4 at this data rate? I'm not even getting 3, it's 2.3 mbps tops. Unless they've throttled it in some other way this has to be attributed to the physical distance of the copper wires. The connection is more or less stable but I did notice sometimes it was taking time to connect, and the fact that attenuation went up from 42 to 50 is another indication that connection quality is moving in the wrong direction.

Indian DSL ISPs cap user speed by applying it to the user ID and not the sync rate. That is why after you finish your data quota (FUP), even though the sync rate remain the same, you speed gets reduced.

In your case the sync rate was increased, but, your user ID is still capped to the old speed. You way want to have them look into that.

Last edited:
@Karan, what a bunch of! Making me put in all this effort...
I suppose I will have to call again and let them know.
Thanks for telling me this.

Back