MTNL does not work with Netgear router/Modem ?

• Thread starter Thread starter fxthomas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 18,040
Since DG834G is a modem cum router you will have to decide to dump either the D-Link or the Netgear piece, if your D-Link router is rented from MTNL then you can just return it to them (after u have configured the Netgear J) so you save on the rent. If you have bought it then it gets a little more difficult, you will have to decide to let go of one. I presume you want wireless connectivity and that’s why you bought it in that case use the Netgear. And BTW the netgear piece will work, anyone from MTNL who tells you otherwise is giving you BS. Follow the instructions in the user guide & I am sure you can do it yourself. I am sure that you can always find a customer for the D-Link piece given the popularity of MTNL broadband.
If you want to keep the D-Link, you can follow the instructions from here http://socrates0.blogspot.com/2006/01/configuring-d-link-502t-router-for.html

@socrates Thanks. I was searching your link I saved. long back. Anyway glb dsl confusion remains.
I post extract from this forum
Default Configurations for MTNL Broadband Under Home
WAN ATM VC Settings -------------------- PVC - Pvc0 VPI - 0 VCI - 32
Virtual Circuit - En
Wan Settings - PPoE/PPPoA PPoE/PPPoA ---
----------- Username - yr telephone number
Password - CA number unless changed
MTU - 1400 MRU - 1492
Default Route - Enabled
NAT - Enabled
Firewall - Enabled
IP Control - Dynamic Static IP - none
ATM ---- Service Category - UBR
PCR - none scr -none

@fxthomas use along with socrates posting
from searching under tags glb502T in this forum.
If you're planning for an MTNL Triband connection, I suggest you go thru his write-ups. I really don't need to re-invent the wheel coz what he has written is more than enough you need to know in configuring your router. Only road-block being that the images on his blog cater to all the ppl who have the old D-Link router. I'm gonna take it from there and take you thru the new router interface.
Days of Alpana: MTNL ADSL Triband Connection

hi, the MTNL Guy had come yesrtday and configured the internet, now i am able to connect but the speed seems slow.:ashamed: Anyway i want to configure Netgear wireless modem now which socrated and essebe had mentioned is do able. I want to know has anyone tried configuting netgearwireless DG834G on mtnl broadband. Or folowwing the user manual will help itself. regards,felix

@fxthomas. Congrats.1.Take screenshots of the D-Link programmed pages, 2 or note down in a notebook !3 or save settings to Hard disk.Next time MTNL will not be so helpful.! 4.Try Netgear without changing any settings in Dlink GLB-502T modem. 5. Checking up whether GLB502T itself is WIFI. .

@socrates . Thanks. Internet connection has been successful with D-Link.GLB502T.Any R &D or permutation & combination in Netgear the user wil not loose the connection !!!!

Now since the D-Link is working, connecting the Netgear to it will cause the connectivity to be lost as the Netgear piece is a broadband modem AND wireless router combined whereas the D-Link is ONLY a broadband modem/router that’s the reason why I said that ‘fxthomas’ has to choose between the two gadgets. If he wants to be connected as he is now (with wires) he loses mobility. If he wants mobility then he will have to dump the D-Link & use ONLY the Netgear. Only thing is for configuring the Netgear piece he will have to connect it like the current D-Link ie thru the cat 5 wire temporarily .

hi Guys, But before doing any RND on Netgear i should take a screenshot of the settings done in D-Link , so that i can roll back if required. Can anyone suggest which details is important to take screen shot or all screen which is mentioned in the guide to configre

@fxthomas.
I would take/save screen shots of all pages ! WE need it for the forum also.to help others.
See this and compare.. Almost same.
http://210.212.160.18/broadband-conf/dlink.html
warning: seems glb502T has a built in splitter.
Did you get a separate splitter from MTNL ?
Do not connect Netgear directly to phone line.
Buy one if needed.

Remove D-Link modem and connect the Netgear to TF line as usual ( after splitter)
Try :1. Netgear alone. connect RJ45 to computer and test. (this is same as dlink.) Select the connection wizard in Netgear also the wireless connection wizard.
2.After ensuring Internet is working ok,
Check in computer Start/LAN/wireless network/Available network You shoud get a report about WIFi in taskbar.
3. Remove the Rj45 from computer and try to surf.
4.Start/Accessories/communications/new wireless network . follow instructions.
As far as possible give same data as was entered in Dlink modem/router.
Report any progress/success/failure/hitches !

You dont need to really take any screen shots, you can just take a back up of the settings of the router by going to the 'Tools' tab then click on 'System' tab & click on 'Save' push button to save setting to your hard disk drive:) And use this file to restore to your original setting if things get screwed up but that is unlikely as you cannot use the D-Link in conjunction with the Netgear piece you have.

Back