MTNL does not work with Netgear router/Modem ?

• Thread starter Thread starter fxthomas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 18,040
hi, Tragidy struck yesterday, actually i took the screen shots of the D-Link setting, one screen is of importance which has all the settings . I tried installing using the Netgear Wizard.Netgear has already provided a splitter so issues abou the phone connecting it. The Wizard itself is very helpful for doing all the settings. But in mid way after selecting the Network card is showed a message that i am using static IP settings and Netgear won't work on it,it needs DHCP setting and asked whether i would like to convert it to DHCP setting. Since i had not taken the screenshots of the IP address that had being configured in the IPv4 settings in the Network properties i exited the wizard and took the Screen shots of the IP setting . Then again i connected the Dlink T520 router to the laptop just to check is the internet is working but first it showed connected (the network icon changed in vista to some loop icon). But when i checkd in IE for some site it showed site not reachable and the network icon changed back to local lan icon. I tried restarting the router etc but no result. This all hapenned last night. Today morining also it showed the same symptoms. I contacted the MTNL Triband helpline first they said the servers are slow and try after some time. Then second time they took my complaint number and said will get back. Now i am in a dilemma that it happened because of my settings (i don't think so) or there is a fault at MTNL side. It was foolish of me of not checking whther the Internet is working fine before going into the netgear configuration.

Which plan of Triband are you using? Which Netgear modem/router do you have?

So I'm guessing the Static IP was just set for your PC by the MTNL technician (not a Static Public IP).DHCP shouldn't be a problem at all.. Try setting Netgear to PPPOE, and the username should be your phone number, and password should be your 10 digit Customer Account number that is mentioned on every MTNL bill..Just curious, are you on Bridge mode by any chance?

hi,
I tried D-Link 502T whithout changing anything , i got connected to internet thanks to the call center lady who told me to remove the powe plug and wait till all the 4 led stablizses.
Anyway the speed is pathetic , i tested by going to speedtest.net and here are the results
https://www.speedtest.net/result/223324755.png
don't know if they are good for the package or no somebode tell me. Some how i feel the speed suddenly increasing when the lights are stable.
I don't know how to check for the speed and my current package since this is my first pathetic week with mtnl.
Anyway that was for Dlink 520T
I tried configuring the Netgear router modem, during the smart wizard setup when the time for me to select the network no options where coming. In the troubleshoot the suggested that i change the network settings to DHCP. So i changed the network ip address setting to obtaining the IP address automatically and re-tested for network and volla i could see 2 network option one wireless and other broadcomm one. I select the broadcomm one and whent ahead with the wizard.
it showed me some progress bar stating some settings being changed.
and a message came that ADSL line could not be recognized .
then in troubleshoot i saw that the Internet port LED should become Green but in my case it was amber and blinking . SO i followed the steps they has mentioned to correct it which is stated as below.
"ADSL Internet LED Blinking Yellow
If your ADSL Internet LED is blinking yellow, then your wireless ADSL modem router is attempting to make an ADSL connection with the service provider. The LED should turn green within several minutes.
If the Internet LED does not turn green, disconnect all telephones on the line. If this solves the problem, reconnect the telephones one at a time, being careful to use a microfilter on each telephone. If the microfilters are connected correctly, you should be able to connect all your telephones.
If disconnecting telephones does not result in a green ADSL Internet LED, there may be a problem with your wiring. If the telephone company has tested the ADSL signal at your Network Interface Device (NID), then you may have poor quality wiring in your house.
"
I am not using any other line or telephone on the same line ,but the Internet port LED kept blink Amber and did not change to green.I eventried ny changing the IP address setting to fixed IP of 192.16.0.2 because it was mentioned in the Manual congiuration that if the LEd lights are okay
"
Obtaining an Internet IP Address
If your wireless ADSL modem router is unable to access the internet, and your Internet LED is green or blinking green, you should determine whether the wireless ADSL modem router is able to obtain a Internet IP address from the ISP. Unless you have been assigned a static IP address, your wireless ADSL modem router must request an IP address from the ISP. You can determine whether the request was successful using the browser interface.
To check the Internet IP address from the browser interface:
Launch your browser and select an external site such as NETGEAR - Wireless routers, adapters, and other networking solutions for the home, smb, and broadservice Providers.
Access the Main Menu of the wireless ADSL modem router's configuration at
http://192.168.0.1.
Under the Maintenance heading check that an IP address is shown for the Internet Port.
If 0.0.0.0 is shown, your wireless ADSL modem router has not obtained an IP address from your ISP.
If your router is unable to obtain an IP address from the ISP, the problem may be one of the following:
Your ISP may require a Multiplexing Method or Virtual Path Identifier/Virtual Channel Identifier parameter.
Verify with your ISP the Multiplexing Method and parameter value, and update the router's ADSL Settings accordingly.
Your ISP may require a login program.
Ask your ISP whether they require PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) or PPP over ATM (PPPOA) login.
If you have selected a login program, you may have incorrectly set the Service Name, User Name and Password. See Troubleshooting PPPoE or PPPoA, below.
Your ISP may check for your computer's host name.
Assign the computer Host Name of your ISP account to the wireless ADSL modem router in the browser-based Setup Wizard.
Your ISP only allows one Ethernet MAC address to connect to Internet, and may check for your computer's MAC address. In this case:
Inform your ISP that you have bought a new network device, and ask them to use the router's MAC address.
OR
Configure your router to spoof your computer's MAC address. This can be done in the Basic Settings menu. Refer to the online help in the wireless ADSL modem router main menu.
"
If poor wiring is the case then how do i check if the wiring is good ???
or do have done anything wrong
I call up the MTNL guy he said the ADSL LED should be stable , if it is not then the line in the house or at the exchange is not proper.He will check today he said.

Should i Tell MTNL people to change the wire used and get a good quality wire.

@fxthomas. At least you have some kind words for the "aunties" in MTNL!!!!!
1. Now your D-Link is Ok, please copy present settings in a notebook.
2. Since you are connecting to Internet and the speed seems ok548Kbps /216Kbps for your tariff plan NU749. Is it 512Kbps or upto 2 Mbps?
3. wait reading your posting !

Update :0720 can you post a screen shot like this for the Netgear ? delete tn_ ( in address bar ) to enlarge the image after you open the link.
http://www.bagthatpic.com/image1.php?d=70&file=EjL64198.jpg

hi, I have successfully done the configuration of Netgear and it working fine thru wireless. Actually since i had complained to the MTNL people, on sat they had done some setting at their exhange side (don't know what). The internet thru D-Link 502T was working smooth. After that , i again installed the netgear modem using the wizrd and it happened smooth (like makkan) , it itself changed my settong to DHCP and everythong else went smooth. Now i am able to connect via the modem. Although the speed is less than the direct LAN one but aceeptable. Can any one tell me where i can test to know the exact speed. I had done a speed test using speedtest.net it came about 201 kbps/ download and 198 kbps/upload. Regarding the Wireless security i have enabled the WPA-PSk, is that good enough or should i set it to High level security one. ANyway Thank Guys especially @socrates, @ essbebe and @prajwal for your inputs. Thanx a Ton.

@fxthomas. Congrats again

1 Again I advise you to copy the settings in a notebook .
2Trying screen shots last time created some problem for you.
3.Saving the settings from the modem ( specially D-Link) to hard disk as advised by @socrates you can try, as back up.
Para two : Check for any unusual activity in your wireless network , when you are idle.
I think WPA is sufficient.
Para three : DataFox can be used to check your usage ( from MTNL site ), and the usage will appear in your status bar. Wait , Iam getting the links.
Update1. Datafox can be used ONLY with FireFox Browser.
DataFox - A BSNL DataOne & MTNL TriBand bandwidth usage monitor
2.Tautology Bandwidth Meter - Internet Traffic Usage Monitor for use in your computer.
You can program it to check usage only for the day time.
www.bagthatpic.com/images/0071/KcH97655.jpg
3. Login Page mtnl
Para Four : By mistake i gave usage links.above.sorry. Speed test sites.
SpeedGuide.net :: Broadband · Cable · DSL · VoIP · Security · Network Tools or Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Back