Packet Loss and Slow Speed Problems on Airtel Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter anshu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 933
  • Views Views 193,159
lol speaking of chennai, for me chennai is closer than mumbai. But i get 75 ms in mumbai server and 140 ms in chennai server lmao. Lol Indonesian servers give better latency than chennai. Indian isp jai ho.

Then wouldn't Hayai Zone transfers between different cities cost you?

Hayai Zone transfers do cost us - we do have to pay money to stick all those shiny new fibers in your neighbourhood, ya know. The difference is that the cost is just a fraction compared to international bandwidth and it's a one time cost which we plan on making back over the next 3-5 years.

lol speaking of chennai, for me chennai is closer than mumbai. But i get 75 ms in mumbai server and 140 ms in chennai server lmao. Lol Indonesian servers give better latency than chennai. Indian isp jai ho.

Tulip runs that server. Wonder why it's slow. As the bird flies you may be closer, but going by the cable maps of India, it's likely a little less direct than you might anticipate. Still. 140ms is pretty awful.

The internal networks are pretty pathetic. Here is a tracert to a PC in the next room.

Code:
Tracing route to airtel.mine.nu [122.164.229.148]over a maximum of 30 hops:  1

The internal networks are pretty pathetic. Here is a tracert to a PC in the next room.

Code:
Tracing route to airtel.mine.nu [122.164.229.148]over a maximum of 30 hops:  1

That'll be the result of you using an FQDN and external DNS, not necessarily of Airtel... If you added "airtel.mine.nu 192.168.1.3" or whatever to your DSL-routers static routing tables, you wouldn't get that.

But I see your point about the introduction of 30+ms on your first hop, wtf is up with that.

I don't use airtel.mine.nu internally. All the domain members register their local FQDNs with RT-N16 (which handles all DNS including external forwarding) after DHCP assignment. Non-domain internet devices are also registered in DNS with hardcoded names based on MAC address after DHCP assignment. (Earth-616.MV is a site I never intend to visit so I don't care :X I wanted all the PCs to have names of places in the Marvel universe.)

Can't believe I bothered to setup all this at home. People say I've gone mad with power.

I just wanted to show Airtel to Airtel latency. There's ~30ms on both ends after ADSL and a couple of ms in the router.

is hotwire available in mangalore or just delhi?

dude, nobody takes hotwire nowadays..it was popular during the pre-DSL era in Delhi..i had it in 2004..it was an atrocious ISP to say the least..i used it when it was partially owned by primus which on its own wasnt a star performer either as far as ISP services were concerned..infact in 2009 primus filed for bankruptcy..

dude, nobody takes hotwire nowadays..it was popular during the pre-DSL era in Delhi..i had it in 2004..it was an atrocious ISP to say the least..i used it when it was partially owned by primus which on its own wasnt a star performer either as far as ISP services were concerned..infact in 2009 primus filed for bankruptcy..

It seems to have sold the hotwire assets to Tata.

It seems to have sold the hotwire assets to Tata.

yeah, Primus and their Indian partners sold off the stake long time back..

That'll be the result of you using an FQDN and external DNS, not necessarily of Airtel... If you added "airtel.mine.nu 192.168.1.3" or whatever to your DSL-routers static routing tables, you wouldn't get that.

But I see your point about the introduction of 30+ms on your first hop, wtf is up with that.

30 ms is on the higher side..but 20 odd ms to the gateway, AFAIK, is the norm in India, as far as DSL ISP's are concerned. MTNL used to give me 19-20 ms and same was the case with BSNL, airtel is more around the 32-35 ms mark. I believe its due to the way DSL tech functions.. ie most ISP's have something called the interleaved mode enabled on DSLAM's..this provides for slower rates but better error correction..true there there would be DSL ISP's abroad having latency around the 12-15 ms mark but that would be with the fast mode which results in a greater possibility of lost and dropped packets, in-short lesser reliability which is needed especially in case of long copper loops having old wiring with lots of interference. FTTH which Hayai intends to provide is a different story altogether and i think they would be able to provide much lesser ping times especially to their own local gateway.

FTTH which Hayai intends to provide is a different story altogether and i think they would be able to provide much lesser ping times especially to their own local gateway.

Well, as demonstrated in our ping results thread, we got 4ms to a Nivyah IP address (I think it was a games server) - that was going from us to Bharti to VSNL to Nivyah, and 12ms to Tulip in Chennai.

I think we don't need to worry too much about pingtimes.

Using airtel atm, wana change my isp. anyother good isp for gaming. i play mostly on international servers like singapore. I was thinking of getting reliance, is it any good?

Back