Packet Loss and Slow Speed Problems on Airtel Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter anshu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 933
  • Views Views 193,159
Using airtel atm, wana change my isp. anyother good isp for gaming. i play mostly on international servers like singapore. I was thinking of getting reliance, is it any good?

check the routing/ping to the singapore server that u use , with below looking glass urls, before you decide on your new isp

tata - http://lg.as6453.net/
reliance - IP Transit Looking Glass

Please have a look at this tracert . 59.176.119.167 -this is the static IP of a gaming server in Delhi. I live in faridabad (NCR) so my ping should be MUCH lower than this..Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600](C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert 59.176.119.167Tracing route to static-del-59.176.119.167.bol.net.in [59.176.119.167]over a maximum of 30 hops: 1

well people who play in indian servers have no complaint. Its just the sg servers, it gives really bad ping there.

Please have a look at this tracert . 59.176.119.167 -this is the static IP of a gaming server in Delhi. I live in faridabad (NCR) so my ping should be MUCH lower than this..

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert 59.176.119.167

Tracing route to static-del-59.176.119.167.bol.net.in [59.176.119.167]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

@adolph ur problem is not only the peering issue but also the fact that u r getting pathetic pings within airtels own network.. see hop 6..i doubt if complaining will have any effect..it should get resolved on its own though.

Airtel does not care about pings...they are worried only about speed.We can only hope that the issue will be resolved soon

@adolph ur problem is not only the peering issue but also the fact that u r getting pathetic pings within airtels own network.. see hop 6..i doubt if complaining will have any effect..it should get resolved on its own though.

Granted, the pings within Airtel right up to the point that it hits HK are horrible (I hope you don't have torrents/downloads running when you're doing this traceroute), but the point is still valid that the connection should not have to go all the way to HK and back. He should be getting pings of like 5-10ms given the distance.

Hey guys, this is really pissing off.I've been using a 512 Kbps local-cable internet(franchised from PACENET) since months, never got much ping issues,My ping to Delhi server on speedtest.net was always between 10-25 MS which I thought was VERY good and it also remained consistent,I mainly use this connection to play a online multiplayer game(Call of duty : Modern warfare 2) on Playstation 3 , and it allowed me good connections to most Asian/UK servers with absolutely no lag unless the server was Australian or USA/Far Europe,BUT since about a week my PING to speedtest.net servers has been horribly bad(especially the Delhi one ) --- from 10-20MS its now 70-200 MS , I am hardly able to play online on my PS3 anymore, even to the servers which are hosted in India itself, also the speeds have been very abnormal , example:If I do a test now i'll get this : DL - 0.29 Mbps Unlimited- 0.4X Mbps(yeah upload is mostly fine)after 10 mins if i do the test the DL speed will be 0.19 , or 0.49 , so yeah it keeps fluctuating and in no way lets me play online on my PS3.This is really pissing me off guys, I called up the local provider and he said he can't do anything about the ping rates , just wanted to know if I should stick with this connection because I've never had problems before with it regarding my online gaming, also because i was getting VERY VERY good ping rates(10-20ms MAX for delhi speedtest.net) before this happened, even better than my friends who have 4 Mbps Airtel(1799) etc.:(

Granted, the pings within Airtel right up to the point that it hits HK are horrible (I hope you don't have torrents/downloads running when you're doing this traceroute), but the point is still valid that the connection should not have to go all the way to HK and back. He should be getting pings of like 5-10ms given the distance.

ofcourse, not having peering with local providers is like having to drive to chandigarh via pakistan for lack of a direct road between delhi and chandigarh..weird scenarios do exist in India..another one is lack of access to copper loop of PSU's..i think it would have been much easier for u or any other ISP to launch if local loop was unbundled..in most countries with cheap high speed BB..local loop is open for access..infact in many countries it was like a pre-requisite for BB growth.

Back