Packet Loss and Slow Speed Problems on Airtel Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter anshu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 933
  • Views Views 193,159
That routing seems screwy - look how many times it hits the same IP. Pings are OK though - can't complain too loudly about 15ms.

It was hitting the same IP(59.179.1.60) as the server(59.176.119.167) was off at that time...

I contacted Airtel's Corporate Office.They tell me to contact the server owner and said that there's no problem from their side.

Is that true????

Do you know why my IP is unreachable from Singtel?

It was hitting the same IP(59.179.1.60) as the server(59.176.119.167) was off at that time...

I contacted Airtel's Corporate Office.They tell me to contact the server owner and said that there's no problem from their side.

Is that true????

Yeah that's kind of true... what's essentially happening is it's getting to the last PoP and then because the server is off, it times out, but it keeps trying and gets in to an infinite loop. If you could tracert with no limit on hops, it would keep going until the server with that IP came back online.

Do you know why my IP is unreachable from Singtel?

It appears to be going in the wrong direction, possibly because the DNS information at mine.nu is not up to date, probably a result of DNS caching (as opposed to a live lookup) rather than anything else.

Notice your second hop towards Singtel is 122.164.48.1, whereas Singtel sees torch.mine.nu as 122.164.184.52.

It appears to be going in the wrong direction, possibly because the DNS information at mine.nu is not up to date, probably a result of DNS caching (as opposed to a live lookup) rather than anything else.

Notice your second hop towards Singtel is 122.164.48.1, whereas Singtel sees torch.mine.nu as 122.164.184.52.

122.164.48.1 is the default gateway for my PPPoE connection. The address is correct, 122.164.184.52 was my IP at the time. Either way it doesn't work when I give my IP directly either. Its been like this since the pings were first screwed up.

As do I, actually. Here's my traceroute to torch.mine.nu:

Code:
Трассировка маршрута к torch.mine.nu [122.164.184.52]с максимальным числом прыжков 30:  1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.88.193  2     1 ms     1 ms

Yeah that's kind of true... what's essentially happening is it's getting to the last PoP and then because the server is off, it times out, but it keeps trying and gets in to an infinite loop. If you could tracert with no limit on hops, it would keep going until the server with that IP came back online.

I was talking about the high(350ms) pings... i dont think that it is the server's problem...as only guys with airtel were getting high ping.

My second hop towards Singtel is 122.164.48.1 because I'm using NAT. My router's external IP is torch.mine.nu [122.164.184.52]. You should be able to see IIS at https://torch.mine.nu

Even if I ran it from the router console, traceroute doesn't show the local IP so you would never see torch.mine.nu in an outgoing traceroute.

I was talking about the high(350ms) pings... i dont think that it is the server's problem...as only guys with airtel were getting high ping.

I think we're referring to different posts (referring to someone on MTNL Delhi running a tracert), but like I said in a previous post, users on Airtel probably being routed through Hong Kong because of how MTNL Delhi is routing traffic - that is, they're buying their traffic primarily from Tata/VSNL and Reliance, but *not* Bharti (for some reason), and because of the peering situation in India, it's probably cheaper for both to send the traffic all the way to HKIX and back rather than directly from A to B within India itself because of the ludicrous charges involved.

HKIX was (about 5 years ago) US$50/Mbit/month at the GigE peering level, so US$50k (Rs23,00,000) per month for GigE peering.

Compare this to GigE peering in India (at Nixi) which is currently Rs3,00,000 per year plus Rs25/GB-(Rs25/GB*0.3) assuming an incoming/outgoing ratio of 3:1, meaning that assuming 80% saturation (2,56,000GB per month in, 85,400GB out) the cost per month would be (3,00,000/12)+(64,00,000-21,35,000)=Rs42,90,000 (US$93,260) or an average price of Rs16.75 (US$0,3643) per GB, or what I estimate to be at least 2x what they pay per GB for international transit (based on my prices and the fact that I buy a lot less than they do at the moment).

So basically the moral of the story is that the ping issue could be solved with a little peering between MTNL and Bharti.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention - the reason it goes all the way to HKIX instead of just to STIX is that Flag doesn't go to Singapore. The next point that SMW4 and FLAG (FEA) meet up after Mumbai is HK.

Stupid eh?

Ping issue are fixed in Mumbai atlest ! :thumbsup:Getting Less than 150 ping to UK which was 550 ping before ! :irock:

Back