Porting back to Airtel

They are right basically. Your request is very likely to get rejected on a prepaid number.

Why is that the case?
In case your request gets rejected open a case at http://pgportal.gov.in/

That has been my experience. Vodafone mini store guy told me on face that most operators reject prepaid requests so he tends to not make them in the first place.

Basically they get commission when you convert your number to postpaid or enter as a postpaid customer and therefore they lie through their teeth.

Well. My request to port from Airtel to Vodafone on my prepaid number was rejected. I did not follow through. Wasted 20 bucks on it :)
Dad's request to port from Reliance CDMA to Vodafone on his postpaid number went through on first attempt even with ownership change.
And I think a lot of folks here on the forum have had similar experiences. Prepaid numbers are hard to port even though they should be easier as they are low ARPU customers compared to postpaid ones!

Vodafone made me come on my knees and almost beg to get my postpaid number ported while my Mom's prepaid number got ported with ease :)
From personal experience Vodafone store executive lie through their teeth to avoid any thing not in their interest.

haha. i guess i was unlucky. overall it worked out fine. i am more comfortable dealing with airtel douchebags so it was good that i did not get ported. dad on the other hand... i had to get him off reliance cdma.

I've already ported once from Airtel Prepaid to Vodafone Prepaid. No problems that time.

I too made multiple name changes while doing MNP: friend's name -> brother's name -> my name :)
There is another game the companies play with the "unbilled amount" in case of postpaid connection.
The new operator will suggest you to clear billed as well as unbilled amount of the previous operator.
The solution is to call the old operator and warn them the you'd be writing a detailed MNP process review and wouldn't hesitate to complain to pgportal if they rejected your porting request unnecessarily for unbilled amount.

It's insane that you don't need any documents from the original owner if you are changing the ownership of the ported number!

Back