Ranking Speeds Of Indian ISP's

• Thread starter Thread starter netomato
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 4,563

Are you happy with your current ISP's performance?

• Total voters

netomato

I got banned!
ISP
Excitel
Vi
Motorola
LG
10.or
There are many services which rank ISP's based on speed & many other variables. But the main thing is how much speeds we are actually getting?

Not just speedtest but real download speeds like steam etc.
Feel free to add many different stats providers data. (Fast, Ookla etc you know...)

So I am creating this thread so we can share speed stats of Indian ISP's (or maybe international too).

Maybe every month we can update the rankings.
I'm starting it out with Steam bandwidth stats.

Last edited:
2o9aZH4.jpg

Looks like excitel is topping the charts here.
In my case Steam fluctuates but Epic games gives full speed.

@netomato surprising Tata Fibre is missing in that list. Is it a mix of both Fibre and wireless BB connections?

Both Airtel and TPBB offer me internet services with consistent speeds and good uptime. But Airtel's customer service is not what it used to be. So, with this caveat I'd say I am happy with them. These are 2 top tier ISPs and I really can't get much better than this. Again this is my experience and is localised to my residential area of Pune city. ACT & Excitel aren't present in Pune AFAIK. GTPL serve only a few areas of the city AFAIK. Vodafone/You broadband is available but I am not interested.

Jio was supposed to start services but stopped work due to some infra issues on the main road near my home. The catch with Jio is no bridge mode and that has reduced my enthusiasm for them considerably. To me, BSNL fibre is a standby line mainly to retain that old landline number and a 40 Mbps connection. It was recently upgraded from 30 to 40 Mbps by BSNL for an extra charge of Rs 50/mth. BSNL fibre isn't as reliable as Airtel and TPBB.

Last edited:
I think it's because TPF users are lesser compared to other telcos which in turn means lesser data usage on steam. Jio has mixed mobile & fiber users that's why their average is slow but I don't think it makes a lot of difference because they're already behind everyone with 30 Mbps base plan 😂

Speed!=Quality

Speaking of ISPs, I was recently looking through our transit costs with Cogent and CDN77. It seems we pay by the Gig used inbound or outbound, whichever is more, and not the link cost. I asked the provisioner about this, and they said this is how it is done everywhere.

This makes the FUP thing very believable for big ISPs.

I am using TPF in Pune(PCMC) since last 6 months and very happy with their service. Never faced any downtime. Only once the fiber cable was cut from the FAT box which was fixed within 1 hr after raising the ticket. Browsing experience is top notch, even better than Airtel. I used Airtel Fiber when i was in Bengaluru. Pings to domestic and international servers are very consistent and symmetrical upload and download speeds on domestic servers. I feel TPF has superior routing than Airtel.
TPF doesn't have a true IPv6 address which ACT fibernet provides in Bengaluru. But ACT fibernet runs on FTTB model and they run down cat5e cables from there which is a bit disappointing in 2022. Although ACT fibernet also has good routing and pings were very stable when i used it back in 2021.
I also used Hathway Fiber in Bengaluru but there service was sub par. Many sites were not accessible, poor pings on international and domestic servers due to bad routing i guess. Huge packet loss at times.
Ultimately it boils down to your preference. I am Software Developer working from home so i need a stable and reliable connection.
I would rank these broadband companies as follows:
1. Tata Play Fiber - Most stable and reliable.
2. ACT Fibernet - Stable and reliable but runs on FTTB model.
3. Airtel Xstream Fiber - Reliable but not that stable.
4. Hathaway Broadband - Not that reliable and stable but cheaper compared to its competitors

@rajat_ what's your plan?
What about international server speeds?
Can you share some results too?

Bhai now lets not go down the path of ping times and speeds :) It is pointless as there are too many variables by cities, locations within cities, routing at the NOC, gateway in use etc.

@rajat_ TPF/TBPP does have true v6 addresses but your modem gets it and if it is configured correctly, which I guess it should be if its supplied by TPBB, then it should delegate them to your wireless devices. If you're using your own router with the TPBB one in bridge mode then v6 needs to be configured correctly. You can also get the static Ipv6 for your connection if you request them. Their v4 IPs are CG-NAT.

Source

In just 10 days excitel has gotten 10 Mbps ahead of itself than before & we can see small progress from other Operators too. I wonder what's happening 🤔
Still excitel tops the chart now with even more larger margin.

Back