Ranking Speeds Of Indian ISP's

• Thread starter Thread starter netomato
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 4,563

Are you happy with your current ISP's performance?

• Total voters
Excitel Is Pulling Numbers In Bandwidth 😱
OdEWBOj.jpg

H6PbqrY.jpg

Surprisingly Tata Play Fiber beats both Jio/Airtel... Even more surprising thing is Airtel Broadband & Cellular is faster than Jio average.

Even though these 3 have 30,40,50 Mbps base plans speeds are impressive nonetheless.

I wonder who's going to be the first ISP in India to hit that sweet 3 digit 100 Mbps mark? 🤔

Download speeds are heavily dependent on the system as well. As older PC hardware is already a bottleneck for decompressing & all that stuff.

ISP will top the charts if they provide cheap bandwidth at the end of the day, that way they'll have more consumer base and average will move up for them. Tata play gives huge discounts sometimes (some people on this forum got gbps plans at steal deal rates) while jio and airtel are super strict about every single penny....

So this chart is also a good way to look at which ISP is cheaper.

Tata Play only offers discount on long term plans(annually or half yearly) that too sometimes. They will always try to force you to buy a higher speed plan by offering discounts on them, no offers on the same speed plan.
Tata Play is not cheap by any means, infact they charge a little premium compared to Jio and Airtel on monthly plans.
The cheapest ISP is the infamous and forum's favourite "Excitel" in terms of plan speed.

In my personal experience, I'd categorize ISPs as follows:
1. Category A ISPs with good routing, consistency and uptime(Subjective): Airtel>>ACT>>Tata Play
2. Category B ISPs good for casual streaming and browsing: Jio, Excitel and Hathway

I'd pick Category A ISPs as primary anyday if they serve my residency.

Imo, download speed is not the only indicator of a good ISP. There are a lot of other factors which are subjective and varies from area to area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't misuse the term "Tier1 ISP".
What it actually means:
An ISP that can reach every other network on the Internet solely via settlement-free interconnection, i.e., settlement-free peering.
That means, any ISP that buys Transit is immediately not a T1.

Except Tata's American division, every other Indian ISP is Tier 2.

I've seen many top people/media calling Bharti & Reliance Tier 1 ISP as well so that was my understanding. Thanks for clearing that out

Back