RBI wants you to fill the entire card details for every online payment

International websites like heroku can easily accept recurring payments from visa/master/RuPay cards issued by Indian banks. International websites just need to contact their payment gateway companies and payment gateway companies will arrange everything for them.

In case of tokenization, International merchants need to contact any 3rd party companies like juspay or even payment gateway companies and create token.

Yes. It's so easy. No wonder every single international website has complied. We are just idiots at finding faults.

I understand recurring payment is not easy for international gateways, why can't take the route AWS took, they will raise the bill every month and then ask the customer to pay as usual! Enter card details and pay. Tokenisation is only for storing the card details and not for single payments.

Probably because it adds complexities. You would have to deal with people who might not pay on time. For that you have two options, have a generous grace period. Or kill the accounts. If you kill an account and the account holder let’s say was in a medical emergency and was not able to pay, he loses all his content on the platform and so on. If India is not one of their major markets, I do not think most companies would bother replacing subscription-based model with manual payments.

India is probably a large enough market for AWS. And even they didn’t bother adding support for tokenization. I am not sure what DigitalOcean is going to do next month. Not even thinking about if I would be able to pay for other software and web services in future without giving up and opening a PayPal account.

I think PayPal is the big winner here. Local players would all have to add support, so no one really has the advantage in longer run. And they are making UPI lucrative for online payments because there is less friction at payment time.

I just hope Amazon India is ready with tokenization. I would really hate to enter my card details for every teeny tiny purchase from next month lol.

RBI is so reckless it can ban Paypal any day without giving a thought that millions of freelancers will be fucked. But yes, RBI ne kiya hai toh soch samajh ke kiya hoga. Stop justifying their actions and instead try and convince the websites and their gateways on our behalf.

I think PayPal is the big winner here. Local players would all have to add support, so no one really has the advantage in longer run. And they are making UPI lucrative for online payments because there is less friction at payment time

I am not so sure about that. They have already sent out emails in the past asking users to find some other way to setup recurring payments since they were not going to comply with that RBI mandate.

heh. i mean it's their core business product. but it should still benefit them as it would likely restrict the number of international payment gateways indian card holders can use... 🤔

Why RBI will ban Paypal ? :rolleyes::rolleyes: I think Paypal India will also launch tokenization system.
AWS also soon launch 'UPI AutoPay' payment partnership with yes bank.

Amazon Prime subscription (recurring payment) also soon support 'UPI AutoPay' and 'RuPay Card AutoPay'.

Source

Source

If they can ban mastercard, paypal isn't far fetched. PayPal stopped it's wallet business in India. I won't be surprised if they ban visa next just to impose rupay on everyone. Credit card was the only reliable way to transact on International websites and RBI went ahead and royally fucked it up for us.

Back