Recommend a cordless phone

drmulchandani

Regular
ISP
MTNL Triband 999 Unlimited
Hey,This is after a long time and there is a very good reason for that. My triband connection was down for 4 days...and as usual the MTNL helpine was not helpful. I went to the MTNL bldg (luckily its 2 lanes away) and spoke to the guy in charge there. Surprise surprise...the "technician" was at my home that same evening. Unfortunately I wasn't...but my parents were and this is what he told them.:(:("You have to many cordless phones in the house". He then proceeded to disconnect the 2 cordless phones and apparently the internet started working?!?!?!:confused:He then proceeded to give advice saying the electrician should meet him and get the first access to the phone line to the modem and then the rest of the phones!:ashamed:Questions:-1.) I was using the same internet connection with the same phones for 6 months now... How come the problem suddenly?2.) Will putting splitters on each of my phone lines solve this problem?3.) Do I really need to do anything at all since I have now connected my cordless phones back and it still works?!!!!!!!:wall::wall:God help those who try for help from MTNL!:mad:

Since MTNL website & User guides say that the main Tel line coming into the house should go first to the splitter of the broadband connection, they will always quote this as a ‘reason’ whether justified or not. I know some guys in my bldg who have not followed this rule AND it has made no difference to them ie – no problems at all from 2005. In my case I had a similar configuration and it did not work at all till reconfigured the network in my house. I follow the setup as shown in the diag below, the ‘PHONE’ line actually has a network of 4 instruments 2 cordless & 2 corded, but as they are after the broadband connection I have no problems.
Also if you have WiFi then cordless phones operating in the 2.4 GHz can interfere with your WiFi transmission

BTW This problem can arise suddenly inspite of working well in the past, due to dirt or oxidation of the copper wires entwined together
Upper CAPS denotes marking on splitter

Main Tel line coming into the house à ’LINE’ (On the splitter)
‘MODEM’ (On the splitter) à To the broadband modem
‘PHONE’ (On the splitter) à leads to my tel network in my house

I hope the above 3 line suffice as I could not add the jpeg to this post

Upvote 0
Hey,

Questions:-
1.) I was using the same internet connection with the same phones for 6 months now... How come the problem suddenly?

coz the SNR margin cud have dropped rendering the interference caused by the cordless phones sufficient to disrupt ur internet
2.) Will putting splitters on each of my phone lines solve this problem?

yes it will
3.) Do I really need to do anything at all since I have now connected my cordless phones back and it still works?!!!!!!!:wall::wall:

No let it continue if it works but u wud have a more reliable connex if u put splitter before every phone or attach all phones only after the splitter

Upvote 0
@/members/socrates/
AND it has made no difference to them ie – no problems at all from 2005.
And presume no splitter was used.
1. they could dial an externtal number & talk on the phone and surf the internet at the same time.
2. When the phone rings ( incoming call ) there was no effect on their Internet connection.
Please confirm.
I had a similar configuration and it did not work at..
contradicts first statement.
Were they connected to MTNL BB or cable BB by some other provider ??

Upvote 0
@essbebe
A) Many of my neighbors have 2 or 3 tel phone instruments before the b'band modem, which are in a ‘series’ ie: the copper wires are just entwined together by their electrician without using a splitter at this stage . Before the wire come to the splitter & modem. That means the splitter & modem are last in this series. And yes

1. They can dial an external number & talk on the phone and surf the Internet at the same time. &
2. When the phone rings (incoming call) there is no effect on their Internet connection.

B) there is no contradiction as I have clearly said that I had a similar configuration ie: like the one mentioned above and it did not work at all for me till I had reconfigured my network ie: configured as mentioned by MTNL in their user guide and as shown in my original post.:)

Upvote 0
/members/socrates/Agreed. The splitter has been used ( specially for BB).I also have the same set up.Phone line =====>>> to telephones in Hall/bedroom ( used infrequently)parallel phone line ===>> splitter == PHONE port==>>.. cordless base etc..................................................Adsl Port ==>>..modem => computerused intermittently . .

Upvote 0
Ok...good info I should also mention that everytime there is a phone call (incoming or outgoing) the modem disconnects initiallly and then reconnects (even if the phone call is still on) and the net then works fine but the call quality suffers in the sense that there is some disturbance and the volume of the call goes miserably low.So I think the only thing for me to dois to put the splitters:P

Upvote 0
phone will work provided it works on 220 V AcCaller id will be an issue, unless it supports DTMF caller ID signal

Upvote 0
guys i need a cordless phone , but i do not want 2.4Ghz(due to interference )5.8Ghz has low range , I heard about 1.9Ghz cordless phone , is this available in india ?where to find this cordless phone , is any USA brands present in india , Budget is not a problem

Upvote 0

Back