Samsung Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 10.1

• Thread starter Thread starter dsneih
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 16,327
You can only blame Google, if they dont upgrade their mobiles. Otherwise we are comparing two different things here.

google nexus one and google nexus s have been upgraded to android 2.3.x editions. as for other companies taking ideas from Apple... i think we have fairly established that this has been largely an allegation. android follows a totally different UI model compared to iOS. and it has been apple that has been borrowing a lot of features from android. in fact they should borrow a lot more to make their platform more usable for their own customers. i for one would love it if they can start delivering updates OTA. also the ability to install apps remotely. of course, most of my complaints are related to iTunes. that has been one of the most annoying aspects with iOS.

Yes.. What can Google do - if for example Sony doesnt upgrade their Xperia series to 2.3 ? Force them to or remotely lock the phone? Whereas what is stopping Apple here for upgrading their own OS for their own hardware.

@rajadeep - I am relatively newbie in this. But I always feel Apple is like Windows (Maybe worse) in this case, & Android is like Linux. The Linux Kernel Team cannot be blamed for your favorite Linux distribution not updating to the latest kernel, whereas Apple themselves make their own products unssupported/obsolete.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

I guess you can only get back at Google, if they do not update Nexus One or totally stop support soon

u mean iOS is like windows... maybe true... But tell me which OS would u or most of the general population be comfortable using??? Windows or Linux... Dont get me wrong I have Ubuntu installed on one of my older desktops & absolutely love it but it does not mean the general public will feel the same...

Wow u are talking about apple not supporting its older devices where as many many device makers dont have a plan to upgrade Android to 2.2 on their phones let alone 2.3??? & my 2.5 yrs old iPhone 3G has the latest version of iOS on it ...

PS actually even though its called a Google N1 its not manufactured by google so I dont think I can grab google's collar if it stops suporting it :P ...

Sony has just announced that xperia x10 would get android 2.3 later this year.

no such luck for X10 Mini, X10 Mini Pro or X8.

Sony Xperia X10 would get Android 2.3!

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

google nexus one is manufactured by HTC. but google is responsible for software updates. i am not sure if HTC Desire has Android 2.3 but Nexus One has it already.

same case with nexus s. samsung has manufactured it. nexus s has android 2.3 while Galaxy s still does not (i believe).

Motorola Xoom is similarly a Google supported device. So, it would continue to get priority updates from the company.

so google has everything available. it's samsung that is taking its own sweet time with their customized builds.

frankly speaking. if you want to talk about the versioning problem on android, it would be better to compare with the nexus series which is officially supported by google. Apple does not license out their software. they control the whole ecosystem. that has some benefits but has major disadvantages.

i do hope that google continues to launch nexus branded smartphones and stock android tablet pcs in the future as well. AT&T acquiring T-Mobile is bad news for us. T-Mobile was the primary supporter of the Nexus series. AT&T is unlikely to be as supportive of the stock android based smartphone.

google might switch to CDMA for future nexus branded devices. this would be sad for folks like us who prefer to use nexus as our choice of smartphone.

google nexus one and google nexus s have been upgraded to android 2.3.x editions.

as for other companies taking ideas from Apple... i think we have fairly established that this has been largely an allegation. android follows a totally different UI model compared to iOS. and it has been apple that has been borrowing a lot of features from android. in fact they should borrow a lot more to make their platform more usable for their own customers. i for one would love it if they can start delivering updates OTA. also the ability to install apps remotely. of course, most of my complaints are related to iTunes. that has been one of the most annoying aspects with iOS.

Oh pls dont start the "iOS stole ideas from Android & Android stole ideas from iOS" debate...I m pretty sure in my post I said device makers(which does not include Google)... Anyway basic fact ideas cant be copyrighted... & Google isnt so innocent in the taking ideas from its competitor game... Want examples? Android market,pinch to xoom,Googles upcoming music service & subscription model etc etc... Anyway frankly speaking I dont give a rats ass if a company takes an idea from a competitor.... If the competition has a good feature why should u try & implement that in ur product... Anyway my whole argument was based on the fact that u claim every product that has the apple logo on it is instantly crap & anyone buying it is an idiot... Again I come back to my previous comment that ur mind seems to be pretty closed for a supporter of open source... It is a common symptom in both Fandroids & Apple fanboys...

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Actually I think AT&T will continue to support the nexus series on Tmobile & maybe even bring it to the AT&T network... The reason being its not exclusive to the iPhone anymore so has started to branch out to newer Android phones to launch :) :wewin::wewin: ...

Back