Seagate Hard Drives

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 8,476
yeap. i have seen several cases myself. in one case, the company paid close to 20K on recovering the data on a disk that crashed. i had recommended backing up the data online. the service costs just 50 dollars per year and has unlimited storage. however you would require a fast internet connection to recover the data back.

Seagate was once considered as pioneers in hard drives. But since the last couple of years, their quality has gone down considerably. I have personally experienced this. I had around 4 - 5 seagate hard drives, and all of them crashed within 2 yrs and I had to send it for replacement. Though they used to give 5 yrs warranty, but people are more concerned about data loss that happens when a HDD crashes. Finally I decided to switch to Western Digital and I am amazed to see the quality of the hard drives. I'm using WD Hard Drives since the last 4 yrs and none of them have crashed even once. Strangely all the HDD manufacturers have reduced the warranty period to 3 yrs too.

Have anybody faced such issues with Seagate hard drives? I have read a lot about Seagate hard drives crashing within warranty period at many places in the internet.

Please share your experiences here....

I have used 4 Seagate drives in my desktops from past 11 years and never had a crash. Still use some of them for unimportant files and backups but now my main drives are two WD Black 1TB. BTW you still get 5 year warranty for high end models.

Actually most harddisks are SMART capable. If person is careful, he shud run SMART tests regularly (say once a month). In Linux u can use smartd daemon to regularly check HDD and it will automatically email u when there is a problem.These SMART tests give u good info well in advance if ur harddisk is failing... so based on that u can take backups b4 it actually crashes.

smart test wont matter to person like me..becoz most of time the reason for crashing is that it dropped to floor!!..lol

My friend's Seagate Hard disk failed within 3 months. He got some repaired hard disk as replacement.

Update: The refurbished Seagate hard disk he got also stopped working as soon as he bought it to his house. Now he gave it again and they have told him to wait for a week to get a replacement.

Update: The refurbished Seagate hard disk he got also stopped working as soon as he bought it to his house. Now he gave it again and they have told him to wait for a week to get a replacement.

One of my friend faced similar problem. He had got a replacement hard drive which was a refurbished one. It said on its sticker 'Certified repaired hdd'. Within three months, that hdd crashed too. He had a bad luck, the warranty expired in the second month.

Now that is actually not legal. He can actually sue them.

how can that not be legal ? Is there a specific law for these kind of instances ? All these things are clearly mentioned in the terms of service etc which you have implicitly agreed to if you are using the drive.@ topic - I have had only one HDD ever fail on me and that was a Western Digital . Currently i am using a Seagate 7200.12 1TB and its working fine. Been almost an year.

When they say HDD has warranty of 1 year.. that means it shud last for 1 year...because i have paid for it. if it didnt last for 1 year that means they provided me with faulty HD at first.and then refurbished one was also faulty...which didnt even last 3 months... that makes a strong case for providing 2 faulty drives which individually didnt even last 1year. infact technically refurbished one, failed twice in warranty period. its a proof that their drives are meant NOT to last long. if i have important data it cud be huge financial loss to me.noone purchases a drive expecting that warranty is 1 year so it will NOT last more that 1 year. everyone expects drive to last atleast 3-4 years... whereas here none lasted more than 8-9 months... so it can make a strong case.

Back