Section 377

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 784
  • Views Views 102,954
Well it's true. But they are going to alienate a very large portion of orthodox voter base as well.

The comments on the Times of India article about the Supreme Court ruling came as a rude shock to me. People have so much hate for gay people.
I mean I guess it's insane how they decide what's natural and god's will and what's not.

chromaniac said:
Well it's true. But they are going to alienate a very large portion of orthodox voter base as well.
That Orthodox voter base couldn't save them in the current elections. What chance that they will do in 2014 elections?
Its a calculated risk they are willing to take.
chromaniac said:
The comments on the Times of India article about the Supreme Court ruling came as a rude shock to me. People have so much hate for gay people.
I mean I guess it's insane how they decide what's natural and god's will and what's not.
There are two sides of the coin. And People love to spread hate more.

While I do understand that gay community is likely to be quite large in our country... I mean even if we assume that 1% of the population is gay... That population is very expected to be of voting age and very opinionated about their rights so they are going to vote for anyone who gives them their right to live their life by their choice. Also... They are all expected to have 2-3 regular (!!!) friends who are supportive of their rights. So, the number intensifies even more.
But I am guessing what Congress has done in the last 10 years would probably negate any goodwill they generate in the next 6 months they have in the current government.
There are two sides of the coin. And People love to spread hate more.
I guess. I am not saying that majority of people in India are haters of gay people and their rights... But the fact remains... Society in general is not comfortable. I doubt my mom would be comfortable with the idea or my dad. Our parents cannot even accept inter-cast or inter-religion marriages!
I also have to admit that I only sort of become pro-gay rights after I because friends with a guy who is well gay. You only realize what they go through in life when you deal with them on a personal level.

chromaniac said:
While I do understand that gay community is likely to be quite large in our country... I mean even if we assume that 1% of the population is gay... That population is very expected to be of voting age and very opinionated about their rights so they are going to vote for anyone who gives them their right to live their life by their choice. Also... They are all expected to have 2-3 regular (!!!) friends who are supportive of their rights. So, the number intensifies even more. But I am guessing what Congress has done in the last 10 years would probably negate any goodwill they generate in the next 6 months they have in the current government.
As I said its a calculated risk. They will have to do something. Can't sit idle. They do realise that buying voters alone isn't gonna help. It didn't work now. It may not later too. They will have to support people somewhere. Show them something. BJP in itself is a mess. I mean comeone its not like they can't do anything about Delhi. But they have given up. Also somewhere if you look its not the Modi wave that helped BJP. Its Anti-Congress wave that worked. Congress will try whatever it has to do some good. Its their last chance.
chromaniac said:
I guess. I am not saying that majority of people in India are haters of gay people and their rights... But the fact remains... Society in general is not comfortable. I doubt my mom would be comfortable with the idea or my dad. Our parents cannot even accept inter-cast or inter-religion marriages!
I also have to admit that I only sort of become pro-gay rights after I because friends with a guy who is well gay. You only realize what they go through in life when you deal with them on a personal level.
Well our parents will never be comfortable with anything new. They think whatever they learnt can work even now. Its not like that. It will take a whole generation leap for majority of people to understand these things. Some parents are successful in making their kids think like themselves. Plus society in general shys away from such things. Ofcourse lot of people find it awkward. And yeah unless you see or experience things from close, you will always prefer to claim ignorance and hate them. Hating is much easier.

Would be awesome if BJP campaigns with the promise that they would abolish all taxes. I can live with the idea of paying 2% on every single transaction or whatever they are considering replacing it with.
Not going to happen though lol.

Back