Suggest a suitable wifi router

Hey Guys,I was surprised to know that MTNL will charge Rs.50/mo for My Wireless Router so I decided to move to my own thing.My requirements are It must have WiFi+Model in built and should support direct MTNL RJ-11 input (If it has another for RJ-45 than no prob). Budget is Rs.2500.Thanks in advance.

You can look at Netgear, D-Link, Linksys for your requirements. It should be a ADSL+ modem & WiFi router combined in one unit. Since you are in Mumbai I would suggest you visit Lamington Rd. You could check out the websites of the above mentioned companies (India page). If you are still unsure then dont forget to mention in the shop that its for MTNL broadband connection & most shopkeepers will guide you in the right direction. There are other companies who have attractively priced unit but I would personally keep away from them. Just keep in mind that the wifi should be b/g/n compatible dont opt for a b/g compatible wifi model, these will be cheaper :)

Just as an indicator these could be some models available
Netgear N150 WIRELESS ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER DGN1000
LINKSYS WAG120N ADSL2+ Modem & wifi N Router, LINKSYS WAG160N ADSL2+ Modem & wifi N Router
D-Link DSL - 2730U, D-Link DSL - 2750U

You can check out Socrates for some tips, of course the models will be different from what you will buy but the fundas will be the same.

Avoid the last :) I know many here would pounce on me for my opinion but I have it from a reliable source to avoid them even though their pricing/warranty is v attractive. :) My friend recently went in for the Netgear & he has no complaints. I would suggest you go from shop to shop on Lamington & check out the prices. I personally use a D-Link DSL 502T ADSL2+ modem & a separate Linksys WRT54G wifi router. I have two units as I bought them on separate occasions.

Back