Suggest a suitable wifi router

Thanks!!!
Please let me know how to setup reapeters...
Also will all floors have difrent wifi password n networks, as it is in Hotels....
I need one network n passcode all around d home...
Pls help...

I usually find that WiFi routers don't like going through floors/ceilings very much, irrespective of how much you spend on it. This is usually due to plumbing, electrical wires and other fun stuff hidden in between floors and walls (this may also be why your signal strength between rooms is not good), so normally I recommend 1 access point per floor - and they don't have to be Rs7,000 devices like manu is suggesting, although that is entirely your option - you could easily get away with 4x Rs2-3k devices if you follow my plan (which is basically an upscaled version of what you'd find Netgear and so on recommending - see the diagram at Using an FVM318 Wireless Router as a Wireless Access Point or Using WPN824, WGR614, or WGT624 Routers as an Access Point - note that individual configurations will differ based on which device you do actually end up buying but because I'm reasonably familiar with Netgear stuff, I'll use it as a baseline).

Although it's not 100% necessary, I would very very very strongly advise that you run Cat5e or Cat6 cable from a central switch to each access point (for the sake of reliability and speed and everything else - otherwise by the time you try to use anything on the top floor to access something on the bottom floor, you end up going through 3 routers connected by weak wifi signals and trying to use it can be nothing short of horrible).

Considering you want to roam around the house, each access point should have the same SSID and passphrase - most laptops/tablets and smartphones are able to tolerate roaming like this (I have no issues with any of my devices and I typically use them between 4 separate locations, not just 4 floors of the same property).

Shopping:
Buy is 4 WiFi routers (choose carefully - I'm a fan of Netgear as I've mentioned, but there are a lot of devices out there that are worth a look. Linksys are also pretty decent. I normally advise against D-Link).
Cable (I estimate you may need as much as 150m of cable, but you will need to measure this yourself and buy the appropriate amount according to your house layout and how you plan to run it). You'll probably also want to ask whoever you buy from to measure, cut and put ends on the cables too (if you're going to drill any holes in the wall, this should be done *after* the cable is run, so you may require a house visit).

Configuration:
You can keep your existing Beetel modem as it is now (I'm going to assume it's IP address is already 192.168.0.1) because you will need it to access the actual Internet, so the only thing that will need to be changed on each access point is it's IP address. I would suggest making it easy and setting them up as 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.5. On all of the access points TURN DHCP OFF otherwise you will create turmoil because they will conflict with one another and nothing will function properly.

Once this is done, turn off the WiFi function on your Beetel modem, but leave DHCP on and leave it in PPPoA mode (so that your PC doesn't have to dial to access the Internet).

Test the configuration by connecting to each WiFi router and ensuring you can use the Internet via the WiFi. Once you know it works, you're nearly home free.

Installation:
On the Beetel modem, I believe it has a 4-port switch already in it, so you don't need to buy another device. What you'll want to do is put your WiFi routers on each floor where you think you will get the best signal with the fewest "dark spots". Run your cables from each access point down to the modem (so, router #1 will need 1m of cable, router #2 might need 20m, #3 might need 45m, #4 might need 70m - I'm guessing of course - as mentioned, you will need to measure this yourself and buy the appropriate lengths of cable).

In each access point, you'll want to plug the cables in to a LAN port (NOT WAN).

Result:
Now you should be able to go anywhere in the house and see your access points, connect to them and browse the Internet and/or anything else you may have on your network (such as a media server) and any WiFi devices you may have (Tablets, PS3, XBOX etc) should also be able to access the net from whereever they are.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions or need some assistance, let me know and I'll try to help if I can.

Instead of buying and running cables all over the house, wouldnt a power line solution be better ? The ones where you plug an adapter into a wall socket, and distribute the connection via power lines.Also, I've found that Asus routers tend to have a better range as compared to similarly priced Netgear ones. The WLg520u is a good buy(no support for the 802.11n standard but fantastic range nonetheless). So are rt n12/n13. Imo, as mgcarley said, single router per floor would be a better option. You might need to install a repeater to get good signals in the garden .

Might work, but decent EoP devices might be cost prohibitive considering he'd need to purchase at least 8 of them (even the cheaper ones at ~US$50 each would blow the budget and that's *before* you even get to buying the WiFi APs).

----------

As far as aesthetics are concerned, he can run the cables on the outside of the building (and paint them to match the colour) and just route out a small gap the window frames (or drill through it: 3 holes in the ground-floor, 1 each in floors 2, 3 & 4) to install it nicely, and so long as he ensures that they are fixed to the side of the building rather than left hanging loose it should look fine. Whether he runs them internally or externally, a box of 100 cable nails costs bugger all and will ensure that everything stays tidy.

Otherwise he can run them along the most efficient path on the inside, again, fixing the cables with cable nails - or better yet, if there is *any* conduit already available, use that (much does depend on how his house is constructed as to what will work & look best).

Hi All,I want to purchase wireless router for home. I have Airtel braodband and they provided me with Beetel 110TC1 ADSL2+ ROUTER.Please advise which wireless router will be compatible with my modem and have good coverage and speed in home.I can spend at max. Rs.2200/-

I think Buffalo is the best brand in general I have come across. There are models in your price range but the entry-level types. If you want something cheaper, search around the forum.

@Socrates: Thanks a lot: your advice and your blog is very helpful. :)

Agree 100%

I also want a wireless router without ADSL (The router will not connect to the internet but to only one server by lan cable and to other devices by wireless . I am looking for a strong quality signal and largest area covered. What would be the specifications for this router (Like N type router etc) and recommended models?

Back