Switched between MTNL Broadband and Airtel Broadband?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 5,318
here is what i would say...

i have already given three cases i know personally about MTNL customers unhappy with their service. all the three cases are of folks who are not going to post about them on forums like this one.

two of those cases have become no-issues after they migrated to airtel. the third one wants to move to airtel but it is not available in that area.

as for my bias for airtel, i am the one running this entire FUP campaign. i have no special preference for them. other than my own personal experience hearing the stories of MTNL and Airtel customers I know personally.

and yes. i do not have an iota of doubt in my mind that airtel provides a better quality of service compared to mtnl or any other internet service provider in the country. that is based on personal experience and the experience i have received running this forum for all these years.

do i still recommend airtel over mtnl? yes i do. at least to people who do not have a heavy data transfer requirements. i think anyone who has been on this forum would know my clear bias for airtel. and they would also know that i have been criticizing them since the day FUP was introduced on their networks.

and i would also likely to clearly mention here. i have personally never suffered from an FUP implementation. i am not sure if it is because of my low usage or my old plan. but it still bothers me a lot and i am not happy about it. and i am pretty impressed that MTNL has managed to stay away from FUP. in comparison, BSNL has taken the same route taken up by Airtel. Reliance is probably the only other player in the market without an FUP on their plans.

I accept that is a valid desire on your part. Just that you have opened this one in the context of the discussion in the other thread. In that thread, no MTNL supporter claimed that MTNL serves their customers better than Airtel. They only objected to the statement in the article that MTNL service is unreliable. Their objection was based on their personal experience with MTNL which may or may not have followed service from another ISP. It was you who seemed to have brought your entire extended family into the discussion comparing Airtel to MTNL.
The tone of your OP is to prove that Airtel is better than MTNL. Your questions also show your bias in terms of focussing on customer contact areas rather than on points like continuity of service, value for money, etc.
It was not the intent of MTNL supporters posting in the original thread to prove that MTNL is better than Airtel. All we were saying is that MTNL is not as bad as that article made it out to seem. Since you said that part of the article did not come from you or MG then I don't see why you are trying to defend it.

dude can u leave this thread to experiences of shifters u can make another thread nd tell us about ur concerns....lol

i cannot blame him. he is correct on his part that this thread is a result of a discussion in another thread. but the motive is not wrong. this thread was not started to 'showcase' that mtnl is bad. i was just looking for some feedback from users who have used BOTH airtel and mtnl. :)

@ Admin : This MTNL Vs Airtel is going to be a never ending debate.We are never going to get a concrete answer !!There will varied opinions throughout !Though there is no harm in getting some reviews from the "shifters".

not looking for a definite answer. just some experiences. :) there is never going to be a decisive answer. everyone would have a different experience.

well i have used both for substantial periods of time and i think i have posted my experience somewhere..will try linking to that post.

I will be signing up for a new MTNL connection as an additional connection to the Airtel connection that i have in about a fortnight...will post then about any improvements or deterioration that i notice in the service of MTNL

• First and foremost, the obvious - MTNL no Fair Usage Policy
  • airtel is slightly more stable than MTNL.
  • MTNL has better pings (latency).
  • Airtel has better QoS.
  • Customer service of Airtel is much better.
  • MTNL has a stupid 6 hr auto-disconnect policy.
  • Speeds with MTNL are slightly lower than promised coz of PPPoE overhead loss, Airtel has more than adequate compensation for overhead loss hence most people get slightly more than promised speed.
  • Airtel blocks several VoIP service providers and periodically tends to censor other web content as well, MTNL has a clean record no blocks whatsoever.
  • Installation was a good experience in both cases, with MTNL i just placed a request online and broadband was activated on my line in 2 days. Airtel needed to install a landline as well so they took longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hav used only mtnl ..but i can say its the worst broadband company juz coz of govt employees who don do their work..calling customer service is no use coz they r illiterate... i hav 1 mbps downspeed n 1 fool argued me that i will only get 1/3 rd of 1mbps i.e. 341.33 mbps.. after i thought he may hav been talking abt transfer rate which is 1/8th not 1/3rd. if i had airtel in my area i would hav switched to it coz i know it cant get worse than mtnl

I am on airtel right now, been with it for 5 years. Thinking of shifting to MTNL, 1 mbps 999 plan. My circle is East Delhi. Anyone has experience with the MTNL guys there? Hows the service?

dude can u leave this thread to experiences of shifters u can make another thread nd tell us about ur concerns....lol
You unfortunately seem incapable of understanding the point I was making. Fortunately for us we have a mature admin who understood and took corrective action.

I have both MTNL and Airtel,Here is the comparisonAT YOUR END>>>>Airtel will do a very neat wiring, wont hang the wire more than 20 mtrs so you will get less problems wire and signal lose wise where MTNL will just join the cables, wont even bother to tape it.SPEED >> I found MTNL and Airtel speed as equal and satisfactoryCustomer Care >>Airtel customer care sucks and so does mtnl'sLatency >> nothing much to chooseFUP >>MTNL has no FUP, AIRTEL doesDowntime >> mtnl servers are hardly ever down, i had more cutdowns with airtel than mtnl so i think mtnl leads herePRICE >>> MTNL has much much economical plans than airtelService >> MTNL service has got better but Airtel has slightly upper hand , it comes down to your local linemans...sr. staff like de,, gm are much better now and they do listen to customers.Bottomline is if u take MTNL, make sure the wires is good...not too many joints and it first goes to splitter before any phone line. do this and u will hardly ever need to call customer care.MTNL is much better than airtel atleast its not trying to fool you.

Back