Tata Sky+ DTH Service: Dish TV, TataSky plan to roll out DVR technology by Diwali

• Thread starter Thread starter msol49
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 11,690

msol49

Regular
ISP
HCL
Dish TV, Tata Sky plan to roll out DVR technology
Press Trust of India / New Delhi October 13, 2008, 17:28 IST

With competition hotting up in the direct-to-home television segment after the entry of Reliance Big TV and Bharti Airtel DTH, market leader Dish TV and TataSky are planning to introduce DVR technology around Diwali time to stay a step ahead.

The Digital Video Recorder (DVR), which allows viewers to record programmes in one channel while watching another and play according to convenience, is being billed as the next big thing in the evolving Indian DTH market.

"This, of course, will be a premium product and we plan to announce the launch of DVR technology platform for our DTH service very soon. It will be a Diwali gift to our customers," TataSky Chief Marketing Officer Vikram Mehra said.

Similarly, market leader Dish TV is also readying to roll out its DVR platform.

"Our launch of DVR is expected around Diwali and our offer will have 140 hours of recording time," Dish TV Chief Operating Officer Salil Kapoor said, adding the set top boxes for the DVR were expected to cost around Rs 10,000 each.

Their new rivals Bharti and Reliance Big entertainment are also readying DVR platform.
While an RCom official said soon the company would unveil DVR, industry sources said Bharti DTH may also launch the same thing.

Asked if they were compelled to bring the new technology due to increased competition, both TataSky and Dish TV denied.

"We have been planning for it over the last eight months doing pilot studies. Now we are ready to roll-out," Mehra said.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?tp=on&autono=47912

Rs.10,000/- for DVR STB :wall:

Wait... That means if Dish TV is launching for Rs/- 10,000 then surely Tata Sky will launch for less so that they get the advantage! Thats is awesome news!

I left my contact details in the Already have TS field.Currently no offer for existing subscribers.They say there will be one soon:thumb:STB-9000RS plus 50 per month usage charge.Available in select cities now.Would consider it if they give the STB for under 6500 for existing subscribers

Cool...Pausing Live TV..Rewinding and recording Live TV...but quite expensive. Even i have left my contact details as they say a special offer is going to be launched soon for existing subscribers

is there a seperate dish for mpeg4???? i see a special Tata Sky+ dish on the website. can the dishes we have receive mpeg4? i think only the STB needs to be changed. and i think 8999+installation is a good rate cos its just 5k over the normal box and includes a dual tuner AND a 160Gb hard drive as well as the 50rs pm fee waiver which the website says. if one goes to buy a 160gb dvr with hdd you wont get it for less then 12-15k. so its good. we indians are used to getting everything cheap but its quality we are paying for. i have personallly used the same stb in london on sky+ and its very very awesome! cant wait for the tatasky+ offer for the subscribers already present. i presume it will be the the same price for the STB(rs 8999 +/- 10%= ~rs 7500) and free installation.

Back