Tata Sky+ DTH Service: Dish TV, TataSky plan to roll out DVR technology by Diwali

• Thread starter Thread starter msol49
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 11,690
hey i have a solution to that too..
its called copy plus!
ppl abroad use it with their sky+ boxes to back up the hard drive or replace it with a larger one.
the only thing is that the hard drive must be removed from the box to backup or upgrade

Copy+, the free Sky & XTV disk copier software

depending on what box we get(i predict a thomson 160 the latest one with the usb) we can use the copy plus software to help us back up and upgrade!

Right, It isn't new service, we will be just able to record the program which currently we are just able to view
No need of extra cabling. The signal we give to tuner is internally split and internally there is dual tuner, so we can watch 1 program & record another :thumb:

As you are aware, Tata Sky+ service is based on Sky+. Here's some more information on the cabling required for the Sky+ service (Sky+ information and advice). The installation requires two cables to be running from the dish to the PVR. As I said earlier, I checked this with the Tata Sky technician and he told me about this (he's already done a few installation - trials). I guess the electrician is required after all....:(

So does this mean that we need to give 2 inputs from that dish antenna to the DVR? :eek:
Chaitanya, see my quote above ... you need two cables...

It will transmit channels in MPEG 4.. So that means that channels will be separately beamed? Or our old set top box will have a software update to support MPEG 4.. I'm guessing the software part of it..

I also have a basic doubt whether MPEG 4 receiving is software part or hardware part. Can our existing STB receive MPEG4 after a software upgrade or any hardware changes are required?

As you are aware, Tata Sky+ service is based on Sky+. Here's some more information on the cabling required for the Sky+ service (Sky+ information and advice). The installation requires two cables to be running from the dish to the PVR. As I said earlier, I checked this with the Tata Sky technician and he told me about this (he's already done a few installation - trials). I guess the electrician is required after all....:(

Ok then it is bit odd to have 2 cables & also may increase cable price too :(

I also have a basic doubt whether MPEG 4 receiving is software part or hardware part. Can our existing STB receive MPEG4 after a software upgrade or any hardware changes are required?
It is hadrware (Video processor) dependent too. Current STB's video processor 'may' be only MPEG2 compatible so for using MPEG4 video, new processor is need. TATASKY+ STB's may come with MPEG4 compatible processor so in FAQ's they are mentioning about MPEG4
(MPEG4 STB's are backward compatible with MPEG2)

In theory, 2 cables are required as we have a horizontal and vertical polarities. If 1 cable would be sufficient for both polarities to be used simultaneously, then we would not need a dual and quad LNB for multiroom subscriptions.

How much will it cost for exisiting customers?

My guess is that they will waive off Rs.50 pm and installation charges of Rs.1 k and they will take back the original STB at Rs.1 K. So I guess that existing customer would pay somewhere around 8 K with installation. Lets see what happens.

Back