Tata Sky+ DTH Service: Dish TV, TataSky plan to roll out DVR technology by Diwali

• Thread starter Thread starter msol49
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 11,690
i know it uses mpeg4. read my post properly, i meant to ask if we can run it on the present dish. according to me, i think there is no separate mpeg4 dish. if there is one, then that will involve a llooooooongggggggg procedure of getting a new dish for me alone as i live in a building full of useless stingy ppl who think even Tata Sky is too modern for them! they will not want to upgrade to a better service, hell they dont even pay their parking dues :madness:

The competition is catching on, Tata Sky+ is it totally a different service?? i mean from a different satellite??

Guys, A little bit of further research on the issue: 1. Tata Sky Plus is using MPEG 4 technology (site says so) :thumb: The MPEG 4 technology can be given with the same dishes but the existing Tata Sky Set Top Boxes can't support it - which means that if Tata decides to shift everyone to MPEG 4 (in order to compete with BIG TV and Airtel DTH) it will need 2 million new set top boxes (ouch!):eek:2. It isn't really a different service - but the hardware they give with it (the DVR/ PVR set top box) makes all the difference. :ashamed:3. The bummer is that the hardware requires two distinct connections from the dish to the PVR. Now this can be particularly difficult if you have internal concealed wiring with just one RG-6 cable. And no, the problem can't be solved by just putting in a simple splitter!!! This may well mean having to call your electrician and have the wiring redone .... :wall:(thank god for atleast having proper internal electric piping!!) :ashamed: I think the pricing for the PVR is not too bad (Rs 9,000). I am going for the service (and also making a call to my electrician!!)...

Awesome news, just left my contact details. Hope they give some discount to existing subscribers. This will be a whole new experience.:thumbsup:

Usage fee Rs. 50 per month is not acceptable. :cry:First i thought that, they give the DVR at free of cost and charge Rs.50 as rent. :ashamed:

I left my contact details in the Already have TS field.Currently no offer for existing subscribers.They say there will be one soon:thumb:

STB-9000RS plus 50 per month usage charge.

Available in select cities now.Would consider it if they give the STB for under 6500 for existing subscribers

You forgot to mention Rs.1000 for installation, that sums up Rs.10000 + rS.50 PER MONTH EXTRA.

Guys,

A little bit of further research on the issue:

1. Tata Sky Plus is using MPEG 4 technology (site says so) :thumb: The MPEG 4 technology can be given with the same dishes but the existing Tata Sky Set Top Boxes can't support it - which means that if Tata decides to shift everyone to MPEG 4 (in order to compete with BIG TV and Airtel DTH) it will need 2 million new set top boxes (ouch!):eek:
2. It isn't really a different service - but the hardware they give with it (the DVR/ PVR set top box) makes all the difference. :ashamed:
3. The bummer is that the hardware requires two distinct connections from the dish to the PVR. Now this can be particularly difficult if you have internal concealed wiring with just one RG-6 cable. And no, the problem can't be solved by just putting in a simple splitter!!! This may well mean having to call your electrician and have the wiring redone .... :wall:(thank god for atleast having proper internal electric piping!!) :ashamed:

I think the pricing for the PVR is not too bad (Rs 9,000). I am going for the service (and also making a call to my electrician!!)...
Right, It isn't new service, we will be just able to record the program which currently we are just able to view
No need of extra cabling. The signal we give to tuner is internally split and internally there is dual tuner, so we can watch 1 program & record another :thumb:

Right, It isn't new service, we will be just able to record the program which currently we are just able to view
No need of extra cabling. The signal we give to tuner is internally split and internally there is dual tuner, so we can watch 1 program & record another :thumb:

Are you sure about it? I spoke to the Tata Sky technician and he told me that he's already installed a few PVRs and they all need two distinct input cables. I believe that the west has now come up with a solution for this as well called a Single Cable Multiswitch (SCW) which solves this problem but heaven knows when we will get that.

I would suggest that you check this with the Tata Sky+ guys before you ask them to come for installation.:whistle:

Ok GuysShould we wait, look most of us were early bird users - we got STB as high as 4000/- RupeesDVR thing is just starting out & we all are very eager to have DVR, why not wait for another few months & lets see, we may just get some discount, as it is we are in a way buying a new connection, may be we can have a better pricing from Big or Airtel or even Tata SkyWhat SaySabir

Usage fee Rs. 50 per month is not acceptable. :cry:
First i thought that, they give the DVR at free of cost and charge Rs.50 as rent. :ashamed:
You are too greedy.......:happy:

These things will be costly when both dish tv and TS launch this new service...........I will be interested in this if the price is low...........

Back