Tata sky to launch Netflix like movie renting service in India

• Thread starter Thread starter devx101
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 17,790
i have seen some subtitles that are a couple of seconds off. smplayer has a handy shortcut X/Z (back and forward). you can easily sync the subtitles using these!

doesnt make sense..how do they plan to deliver the content?..if its via the internet why is the CEO talking abt the set top box? surely Tata Sky can launch a website and any internet user can subscribe to it and watch movies a` la netflix ..surely they dont plan to launch internet services thru the STB coz that would useless/impraticable/infeasible..

they can simply create a new channel..list the movies on it and stream the movies via the satellite like they do with their existing channels/showcase..what is the need for the ethernet port and computers?

if you read the article... the STB would act like a media player.

it would connect to the web. it would have an interface for ordering movies through their online service.

the movie would be downloaded to the STB using the internet. and you would be able to watch it on your TV.

think of it as a device like WD HD TV.

----------

from what i understand they already have a feature like movie on demand right?

but the problem with movie on demand is that they only have a limited channels that are used for it. and each channel can only have a limited number of movies available.

lack of transponder space probably makes it hard to offer a larger number of movies.

airtel iptv actually has a much bigger selection available at any given time. simply because they do not rely on satellites.

ya thats what i am asking.. what is the point of that..why do i connect my STB and use my bandwidth to download a movie and store/play it from the STB..when the STB can stream it directly from the satellite..i already have media players to do that job..besides i can also watch the movie on the computer also

well. their plan does not sound sensible looking at the price of bandwidth in india. but netflix does work in a similar fashion right? through STBs/gaming consoles/mobile devices/tablets. the only difference is that you can access your movies through multiple devices including computers. Tata Sky would offer it only through their STB.

If it is just for TS hd dvr users than no problem with buffering but there market will shrink a lot bcoz of just 1 device support. looks like they know about the pathetic BB situation !!!:fart:

ya but netflix doesnt have its own DTH right? so it works thru STB's of other providers and that is a feature but when u can stream it yourself why waste the subscribers internet b/w in the era of measly FUP's ?transponder deficit stops u from adding additional channels but with some STB programming u can offer multiple servies on a single channel

i do not believe netflix has their own hardware. they collaborate with almost everyone. roku etc. from the article... Tata Sky wants to make more money from the existing STBs that are with their customers. who can blame them for offering more value added services. :) as long as it is not forced upon the customers. no one is saying that people would use it. i mean youtube would have more success selling/renting movies in india because of the smoother user experience. :D

ya but netflix doesnt have its own DTH right? so it works thru STB's of other providers and that is a feature but when u can stream it yourself why waste the subscribers internet b/w in the era of measly FUP's ?
well u don't have to worry for BW/FUP's(i hope), i hope there will be tie up's for the same.

transponder deficit stops u from adding additional channels but with some STB programming u can offer multiple servies on a single channel

what programming? not getting u !

^ "no one would use it" thats what i am trying to say..obviously no one can stop them from launching anything..including a STB that can make chapatis

----------

well u don't have to worry for BW/FUP's(i hope), i hope there will be tie up's for the same.

what programming? not getting u !

well i am not a DTH professional but i think that they can provide some level of interactivity thru the STB..whereby u select one movie out of several that they have on offer..and then that gets streamed..at one time its only one movie that would be streamed to u not the whole load of movies that they would have on their backend so transponder scarcity shoudlnt be issue but then again what i am describing is an IP n/w..maybe satellite tech cannot rely on that coz there is no return channel..would hv to read up a bit on this ..

Back