Tata sky to launch Netflix like movie renting service in India

• Thread starter Thread starter devx101
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 17,790
What you are suggesting isnt feasible because they will have to still transmit all the movies as someone or the other would be watching one movie or the other. Btw they have Video On Demand/Showcase. How many more movies do they want to offer? **I Think**They can stop all showcase channels and give us ESPN HD! I would be really happy with that!! :D

btw how does movie on demand works? from what i know, you have to watch the movies at the time they are being streamed on the MOD channel right? you cannot pick the time yourself? unless of course you have a DVR?

From what I gather, you need about a 5mb/s connection for Netflix. It's pretty common in the states to have those speeds, but it's barely viable here. Netflix also doesn't require you to download the content, you just stream it on your pc, xbox, ps3 and what have you. This looks more like a value-added service that would hardly be used.

heh. india does not have internet speeds that can stream data. and i do believe netflix would have some sort of a caching system in place because not everyone would have a consistent internet experience (people do work too online right?). and netflix support mobile devices too remember? and usa is not doing well indeed. a lot of people are realizing that the newly instated FUP limits are becoming a regular problem due to their usage of Netflix and Hulu Plus services. gizmodo had an article (being discussed in another thread here) where comcast banned a customer for hitting the FUP limits on her connection.

well i am not a DTH professional but i think that they can provide some level of interactivity thru the STB..whereby u select one movie out of several that they have on offer..and then that gets streamed..at one time its only one movie that would be streamed to u not the whole load of movies that they would have on their backend so transponder scarcity shoudlnt be issue but then again what i am describing is an IP n/w..maybe satellite tech cannot rely on that coz there is no return channel..would hv to read up a bit on this ..

u are correct it has no return channel. But even if a return channel like subscribing through mobile etc they will not have enough bandwidth for showing VOD's to millions of users(actually not even 3-4 at a time).
TS has some 10-12 transponders and can beam 180-200 odd SD channels at max(would have been more with mpeg4/dvbs2), hence even if TS becomes full VOD service provider one it will not be able to service more than 200 simultaneous subscribers at a time. So they will have to use Internet connection they simple don't have any other option.

now DTH industry is looking at ka band transmissions as future because it can offer some interactivity with the present small dish.....

btw how does movie on demand works?

from what i know, you have to watch the movies at the time they are being streamed on the MOD channel right?

you cannot pick the time yourself? unless of course you have a DVR?

Yes, I have a DVR. It just downloads the movies,serials etc on the DVR. I just go to the list and select something to watch. I can also pause,forward and rewind.
I read that they do have plans to replace all existing STBs with ones that have a DVR.

On my Tata Sky+ there is a video on demand section on which you can watch stuff anytime so they should leverage that and provide a good selection of movies at a reasonable price.the biggest advantage tata sky has compared to the others is that it is partly owned by star which is owned by rupert murdoch who also owns fox studios.so that's a massive collection of movies and shows right there without royalty payments.

They would have to improve bandwidth & latency.

----------

From what I gather, you need about a 5mb/s connection for Netflix. It's pretty common in the states to have those speeds, but it's barely viable here. Netflix also doesn't require you to download the content, you just stream it on your pc, xbox, ps3 and what have you. This looks more like a value-added service that would hardly be used.

Kinda tough to make it work in India.

it will be possible after fibernet comes.Content Provider will upload the content on any server of fibernet and then it will reach to every city and then Users will easily access the content at high speed and of course without worrying about data as it will always be unlimited.This is the sole purpose , why NIXI and Innogrids are dying to host content in our country itself so that more services could be developed

in the end, the user would be paying for the movie and the bandwidth.

why would he not get the movie through torrents?

this plan is going to be a failure unless Tata Sky collaborates with major ISPs in india to provide free downloads from their servers.

but then this would be against network neutrality.

yey india.

----------

and for the love of god, please do not use wrong titles. tata sky is not bringing netflix to india. god.

Well Said.. why would anyone not download using torrents and watch it without any hassles like buffering ...

Back