Tata sky to launch Netflix like movie renting service in India

• Thread starter Thread starter devx101
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 17,790
so 1st we pay them for the vod service and on top of that we pay the isp 200-300rs/gb for watching that video..!!! yeah right!

It will work well for people like me (small % of target audience) who have fast broadband and NO FUP :)

Eagerly waiting for it to launch ...

^^^^An important factor u missed out - U even wud be against Piracy strictly, which is why u wud be paying for the service! ;) :D

^ VOD is free to begin with. I was told they would have programs of the last 5 days. They also provide a 'free' ethernet cable for initial setup :p Ideally I should have got a visit by now considering I have an unlimited connection, let me call them up tomorrow and see what's happening
free ethernet cable !!!! lolz now that shud set some tongues wagging :p
the way the talk abt free ethernet cable is as if we wud have to buy it on emi if they hadn't provided it !!!

stupid idiots giving only 15 meters of "free" cable. The guy who turned up at my place said "Sir, the jacks have been pre fitted so we cant give you more cable." Anyways the cable just about made it from my router to the box. Cant keep it connected though. runs right through the most walked about area in the house. The service works like this. A set of channels show up on ur showcase list when connected to the internet. Currently select channels are available on the service with a further pruned list of their prime shows(Colors, NDTV 24x7 etc, for instance.). The download process kicks off only after you authorise. (So it is basically upto you to set a download. Pretty much the only option available at hand with TS considering the FUPs going around. But I really dont see any viability if I am asked to pay a subscription for the whole service. Maybe lets say if i need to see a particular daily soap, i would be ready 2 pay something in the range of 5 bucks). After the download is complete the plan menu shows up another option (download manager). Thankfully the download manager option is there even when the ethernet is plugged out.

Forgot to update. TS morons installed this at my place today. The whole process took about 10 minutes. May be even lesser. They called me up, asked to leave the STB on, and then remotely triggered an upgrade. Meanwhile they arrived after 20 mins with 10 meter free cable (for some reason they kept repeating that word), connected the STB to the router and bam, it was up and running. The content is limited right now like @rajivkrishnan already said, but it is a start nevertheless. I finally have an IP connected TV at home :p

I don't have to worry about FUPs so I can download pretty much anything. Need to add that they have FREE movies also on this option, and they have a pretty good list to be honest. I found the old Golmaal too which I had been wanting to get hold of for long. Now I need to take some time out and figure out which IP they get all their stuff from :D

TS morons installed this at my place today.

Y abusing them, despite the fact that ur installation went thru smoothly?

^ Because a couple of good things do not undo all the bad they have done over the years

yeah it sure is a start. But I am kinda wary about the pricing aspect of it considering that most of us will have to pay for bandwidth also. That seriously dents viability

^ I guess that's one reason they have been targetting only people with unlimited and 'high speed' (a joke in India) connections to begin with. During installation of my TS+ HD STB, the engineers were trying to upsell me some kinda internet connection, but weren't sure what exactly they had to tell (they forgot their script). They might be planning to leverage their TI connections for these

Back