Tata sky to launch Netflix like movie renting service in India

• Thread starter Thread starter devx101
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 17,790
^ I haven't downloaded any movies yet, just a demo clip and one episode from Colors. The quality of both was SD. My guess is the film will also be SD, but I will try over the weekend and let you know. I just hate having wires all around and so it is right now not connected to the network.

How come this software update has not yet taken place on my stb?whats your software version ? mine is 105.i have requested TS to activate the same for me but they still have not.any idea how to get TS to do it for me?

Is it available only thru a software update (not to mention the cabling, internet connection though!)? I was under the impression that they wud be giving u a separate device for this! :S

No separate device is given. Apparently only the TS+ HD boxes have the ethernet port, so at this point of time only those with these boxes are eligible. As regards this 'preview', I guess they will just call you up directly. My best guess is you should get a call if you either have subscribed to their costlier packages or if you have been a long time subscriber. In my case I fall into the latter, and hence I got a call regarding this within a week of installation of my TS+ HD box. You may call them up and ask. Right now there are no fees whatosever, neither for the cable, nor the visit, nor installation nor viewing.

Had received a call good 2-3 weeks back but since I wasn't interested in the service, so refused them. The movies available for download are only in SD. In-fact all content is in SD quality to keep the file size small compared to HD content. As long as they don't have a tie-up with ISP's, doesn't sound very tempting.

^ if it is in SD then many ppl might opt for the torrent route for HD content. coz almost every who has bght the HD box has a hdtv & since they are anyways going to incur bandwidth costs they might as well spend a bit more n get stuff from torrents in HD.i for one wud gladly pay for HD downloadable content. as long as its SD i m gonna stay away.

its SD. but quality is a tad better than their regular broadcasts. Last night i downloaded andaaz apna apna. It took me approximately an hour. Speedtest.net was consistently giving me 4+ Mbps before and after the download. Though the calculation is vague, considering i have no clue of the download speed on the server but that roughly translates to 1.8g which by no stretch of imagination is HD.

OK some gripes now:1. The new software is very very cranky. All sorts of bugs. It always starts out on channel 100 for a start instead of remembering the last channel you were on. 2. You cant start watching content until its fully downloaded. (Stupid if you ask me)3. I dunno but my series recording set disappeared after the new software was installed. Looks unrelated though. But has never happened before with me.

3. I dunno but my series recording set disappeared after the new software was installed. Looks unrelated though. But has never happened before with me.
Can you elaborate on this one? I didn't have issues with recording series for the first few days, but past 2 days onwards content isn't getting recorded. I mean the ones which were set for recording earlier

Back