They Call it a Broadband with speed less than what you pay for (less than 256kkbs)

• Thread starter Thread starter crest_delta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 5,376

crest_delta

ISP
MTNL Triband
Hi ,

I knw most of you must have already read and answered many queries like mine but pls do answer this post or pls guide me to the thread were I can get solution.
I had to go at borivali west telephone exchange to get my triband modem as it had been more than 5days since the service had been activated . I got my DNA 2012 modem (wireless ) which I had connected to my desktop PC .Since I already had triband at my office i was pretty much sure I will be able to connect it ( as such the MTNL guy said just connect the modem to PC it should start working ).I was really impressed with the speed around 1.3Mbps ~ 1.5Mbps download (where as my plan is 312kbps) and its also the reason I had opted for MTNL :wink: at torrents download of 200kbps

Now my happiness ended on the next day and now since more than 10 days after installation my speed does not cross even 256kbps.I complaint 3times but all they do is call and ask if my net was working, where as my complaint is for speed. After a lot of reading and fiddling with settings all I can get is 320kbps

My details are as below

[*]Downstream Upstream
[*]SNR Margin 26.5 14.0 db
[*]Line Attenuation 30.0 17.5 db
[*]Data Rate 320 256 kbps
[*]Max Rate 2304 528 kbps
[*]POWER 15.5 7.0 dbm
[*]CRC 0 2
[/list]

https://www.speedtest.net

You are synced at the correct speeds no need to cry..... damn.... how many times do we need to explain ? 1kbps (small kb) means kilobits .....320kbps=320/8=40KB/s (kb/s )1kb = 1/8 KBall speeds are either mentioned in mbps or kbps.. divide that figure by 8 to get the correct speed.

^^ The speed you are getting seems to be in line with the plan you subscribe to. That is clear from your Speedtest report. auroraPWN has already explained the calculation.You may have got high speed on the first day because they had not yet applied the cap at that point in time.Yet I would suggest you need to get MTNL to look into your case because I believe the line attenuation is too high for comfort. I am alarmed when Line attenuation is a bigger number than SNR.

Yes you are correct that my plan is only 312kbps but thats what my concern is ..my neighbor has same plan where he gets speed of more than 1.2mbps every time .Its not that I envy my neighbor but also at my office the speed is more than what we have subscribed for ...and this is for now more than a year that we enjoy high speed ...why is it that MTNL has capped my speed limit is it because of the router ??what happens if I apply to change the router to some other make what my neighbor is using will i help ..

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Yes you are correct that my plan is only 312kbps but thats what my concern is ..my neighbor has same plan where he gets speed of more than 1.2mbps any time .Its not that I envy my neighbor but also at my office the speed is more than what we have subscribed for ...and this is for now more than a year that we enjoy high speed ...why is it that MTNL has capped my speed limit is it because of the router ??what happens if I apply to change the router to some other make what my neighbor is using will i help ..

i dont know what to say here! ppl just are not happy!

Yes you are correct that my plan is only 312kbps but thats what my concern is ..my neighbor has same plan where he gets speed of more than 1.2mbps every time .Its not that I envy my neighbor but also at my office the speed is more than what we have subscribed for
MTNL has made a mistake in the case of your neighbour and your office. To fix it, complain to MTNL and screw your neighbour and office if your conscience says that is the right thing to do. But you cannot demand that MTNL should also give you a high speed which you are not paying for. I feel sorry for your attitude. Suppose you go to your grocer and buy a pack of Tide for say Rs 30/- which may be the MRP. Your friend goes there and buys the same thing and the grocer charges him Rs 3/- by mistake. Can you demand that the grocer make the same mistake in your case?
...and this is for now more than a year that we enjoy high speed ...why is it that MTNL has capped my speed limit is it because of the router ??what happens if I apply to change the router to some other make what my neighbor is using will i help ..
Good that you enjoy high speed for more than a year. Perhaps if we are all as honest as we expect our MPs to be, we should inform MTNL when they give us higher speed than we pay for. MTNL speed cap is independent of router. It is done at their end. Changing the router will not matter at all. If you want a higher speed then apply to upgrade your plan to 512 kbps or 1 mbps.

yes I knw I am asking for more than what I pay for ...but since in both the cases as I had seen a vast difference in speed than the actual subscribed speed I wanted to opt for Triband.well as am writing you now I my speed has become even more pathetic..a You tube Video at 360p is taking a toll to open up..and speed test is showing 195kbps only.May be I should cont for another month and if nothing seems to work out I shall say good bye to MTNL.Pls note as I already mentioned I am not envy of my neighbor where he is getting a speed of almost 1.5mbps thanks for you reply ..I shall keep making complaint to MTNL untill they give me a steady 312Kbps for which I pay !!

OK let me see if I can cover all the points in your post.1. You say you are getting low speed of 195 kbps only. In my first reply itself I have told you that I do not like your line stats. You need to complain to MTNL. Not just CC but some important ppl at the exchange.2. You mention that you are getting 195 kbps in continuation after saying your Youtube video is taking long to open. Does that mean you were conducting the speedtest while the video was downloading? Then you will certainly get a lower speed. To get a correct picture, conduct speedtest when nothing else is being downloaded. Confirm the result by conducting the speedtest provided on MTNL's site too.3. Don't be too hasty to say goodbye to MTNL. First look at your alternatives. If you discard MTNL, then who else? Their plans are good VFM. If this speed is too low, just choose a different plan. As long as MTNL gives you the speed that you are paying for, (when correctly measured) be happy and continue. Consider switching out of MTNL either if you are getting terrible service from them or another ISP comes along to offer you a much better deal.4. If you are not a big downloader, you can take a look at some other data limited plans and get great speeds at a low price from MTNL too.

Yes daddycool has given the right answer to your reply. if you are getting lower speed than your plan complain to them, also loading of videos on youtube is not dependent on the internet speed but also how busy the server farm is when buffering the video and the latency to the server

Daddycool;431298]1. YES i have already asked my line men to come and check the same ...I have also fired emails to most ppl ids I could find on forum 2. No no I always do the speed test while there is no other application using bandwidth.More over I test 3times and take an average (approx) so I said its around 195kbps.I hada also tried with the mtnl server ..gives nearly the same result ...3.& 4 Yes I knw even if MTNL has a more bureaucratic way of working the tariff is too low compared to others. I may not be a heavy downloader but say just yesterday I had to upgrade my ipod firmware and it shows me 11hours to download a 580mb file !! phew.. how can I wait for soooooooo long when things are critical ..and incase if i switch to a limited plans I really dont knw when I shall need to doenload firmware for my ipod & my OS of my HTC and so on ...so the LIMITED plan with high speed is out of question.and with this plan even at 190kbps I can surf but not really download any thing.Today a MTNL technician visited my place ..since I was at office I am not sure what he did ..bt when i spoke with him he too agreed that it was on a very low speed and said he has informed his senior heads & will revert back ..(dont knw when ) and mean while said a line guy will visit to check ...will keep u posted with updates

Back