They Call it a Broadband with speed less than what you pay for (less than 256kkbs)

• Thread starter Thread starter crest_delta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 5,376
Frankly, I'm with everyone else here. Believe it MTNL are not ripping you off, so there is no need to complain (except maybe about the quality of your line, since as it has been pointed out, your ADSL modem readings are a bit off).All things considered, MTNL's 512k and 1mbit/s plans are quite reasonably priced, so if you want higher speeds, all you need to do is switch to a higher-speed plan and pay for it as you should.

I would like to add some more details to my query...Although I expected to have really high speed (as in the case of my friends ) when I had opted for triband but the fact is that I don't even get the speed as per my plan which is 312 Kbps UL ..and guess what As I returned back from office and did a speed test the speed hardly crossd 100Kbps.now all I expect from my connection is a stable speed though only 312 but where I can Download from torrent at atleast 50 to 70 kbps

I would like to add some more details to my query...Although I expected to have really high speed (as in the case of my friends ) when I had opted for triband but the fact is that I don't even get the speed as per my plan which is 312 Kbps UL ..and guess what As I returned back from office and did a speed test the speed hardly crossd 100Kbps.now all I expect from my connection is a stable speed though only 312 but where I can Download from torrent at atleast 50 to 70 kbps

As per your original speed test, your line is capable of getting the 320kbit/s that you are paying for - however a number of factors could be slowing your connection down whilst doing the speed test, including but not limited to software updates in the background and forgetting to turn off your torrents/downloads whilst performing the test, otherwise there is every chance that there is congestion at your exchange or something like this, but the easiest way to know for sure is to download a file from a website (let's say microsoft.com for arguments sake).

If it comes through at about 30-35kbyte/s, then your line and plan are performing as expected. If you only get 10kbyte/s as you are saying your speed is now, then there may be some other underlying problem.

Obviously, you shouldn't cheat and run downloads in the background then run a speedtest: the speedtest has to be the only thing running, otherwise your result will be drastically skewed to show you're only getting 0.10mbit/s, invoking sympathy from this crowd but being basically incorrect/misleading, because with this speed, you can only reasonably expect to do one or the other (surfing or downloading), so if you have anything running in the background (even, say, a Youtube clip in another tab within your browser) stop & close it first.

Also ,torrents, being a P2P technology, are usually set to absolute lowest setting when it comes to Quality of Service (QoS or traffic shaping - this is not something you can change), whereas IPTV and VOIP are usually set at the highest setting. Normally users shouldn't notice this sort of thing, but if your torrents are coming in slowly, it could be because of this, otherwise the more likely explanation is that the seeder(s) has his upload speed set very low (or he doesn't have much bandwidth either), or else it could be due to congestion on the network somewhere.

Otherwise generally speaking they are obliged to provide you an average of 80% of your plan speed and if you can't get this by downloading a file from a normal website, whether Microsoft.com or Filehippo.com then as I said, something may be wrong with your service and they need to fix it. If you want to test downloading a file from within India, the most local file I can think of is this one http://ubunturelease.hnsdc.com/10.04.1/ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386.iso - this is physically hosted in Mumbai, so you should get at least 30kbyte/s from it.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Also, for the record, if your plan is 320kbit/s, then the MAXIMUM speed you will get is about 40kbyte/s - not 50-70. For that you WILL need to upgrade your plan to at least 512kbit/s.

@OP - You still seem to be confused. You mention 100 kbps is the result of running speedtest. Yet your original snapshot shows that you are getting your plan speed. I had also pointed out to you as mgcarley has done again that you must turn off all other downloads when conducting a speedtest. Have you ensured that?Another confusion I see is that you are still not aware about the alternate ways speed is displayed. One early answer you got (i think it was auroraPWN) has explained it to you. Speetest shows speed in kbps. On torrents, the speed is usually displayed in kBps. The difference is in whether 'b' is in lower case or upper case. To simplify it for you, take the figure in kBps and multiply it by 8 to arrive at the kbps value. Your plan speed is 320 kbps and as already pointed out you can expect to get over 320 x 0.8 (representing 80%) = 256 kbps. At that speed, your torrent download will be 32 kBps. In fact you can reasonably expect your torrent download speed to be anywhere between 32 kBps and 40 kBps if you have lots of good seeds. So if you are expecting 50-70 kBps on torrents, that's unreasonable.Hope you understand.Mgcarley has also given you some locations for file download. But the MTNL website itself has a speed test which involves downloading a 1 Mb or 5 Mb file and they display the result. You should use this first. In any case you still need to ensure that this is the only download going on. To ensure that I would suggest you install Bitmeter or some other network monitor which will show you if some other net activity is on and is skewing your speed measurement.

And this is why I always type kbit/s and kbyte/s. No ambiguity :D

BTW OP there is an option named " setting " through which you can select the result to be shown in kbit/s or kbytes/s , mbit/s or mbyte/sIndeed, MTNL's 512k and 1mbit/s plans are quite reasonably priced. But, customer support they offer, nuff said :D

BTW OP there is an option named " setting " through which you can select the result to be shown in kbit/s or kbytes/s , mbit/s or mbyte/s
Indeed, MTNL's 512k and 1mbit/s plans are quite reasonably priced. But, customer support they offer, nuff said :D

Are you suggesting that Reliance' customer support is any better?

idk, am waiting on hayai :tongue:
Some friends work in Reliance so, things are easier for me anyway.

You are synced at the correct speeds no need to cry..... damn.... how many times do we need to explain ?

1kbps (small kb) means kilobits .....320kbps=320/8=40KB/s (kb/s )

1kb = 1/8 KB

all speeds are either mentioned in mbps or kbps.. divide that figure by 8 to get the correct speed.

exactly there should be sticky explaining people about this maths!!

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

to all people who are on plans like 312UL and complain of slow downloads, i would suggest you buy a higher unlimited plans, your downloads would go faster :D

Yeah, as you must have seen my posts in many other threads - there are many happy kind of Reliance customers - including me!! In these 3 odd years, i had to face bad experiences only once or twice, where we had to actually abuse their CC to get things done - but even that incident is atleast a year old now.

They are improving their CC - and hope that the Level of commitment that you are showing, will surely force all the companies to improve their CC, after you people launch!!

Back