Tikona WiBro with Ubuntu 10.10

abhishek2386

ISP
Tikona
Hi friends,

I am using Tikona WiBro in Mumbai since past 1.5 years, and have a mixed experience (though their Customer Care department is the worst you can imagine) with fairly stable connection record.

Recently I've decided to permanently move to Ubuntu Linux from Windows XP. To my shock I realized that Tikona's Customer Care, or it's website doesn't or can't provide configuration details for connecting to internet from Linux. Rather they can engage an engineer to visit my place and configure the connection, which is not very feasible solution for me at this moment due to my ever changing work hours and other allied reasons.

I have spent reasonable hours googling around for a workable solution, but there is none. I am sure that I'm not the only who is using Tikona WiBro and uses Linux, thus requesting anyone who can help me with some technical details for how to connect to Tikona from Ubuntu Linux.

Here is my setup details:
Device Provided by Tikona: Ruckus Wireless MM2211
How do I connect usually in WinXP : WiFi (Using Tikona Dialer) OR Lan (Requires Web login)
Linux Version : Ubuntu 10.10 (Or help for any prior version will also suffice)

Some more details:
My Ruckus device receives wireless signal from a nearby router placed at building terrace. I connect to the router using WiFi or LAN cable, and dial using (Dialer or Web Login page).

Any help will be highly appreciated...:urock:
Thanks in advance:)

Guys after a little more of experimenting with Tikona WiBro I have figured out and was able to connect to Internet using WiFi from Ubuntu Linux. I would like to share the details here which might help other folks like me! Though I am not a Linux master, but I love Linux, so please excuse if I sound too noob here!My Setup--------------OS: Ubuntu Linux 10.10Tikona Modem / Router : Ruckus MM2211Before you start with the configuration make sure Ubuntu has properly recognised your Wireless Card (i.e. proper driver is installed and the WiFi Card is working). Otherwise there is no point in moving forward through this article.1. Click on the Network icon on the Top taskbar, Select "Connect to Hidden Wireless Network.."2. Following would be the setting in "Hidden Wireless Network" window Connection: New Network Name: tikonawifi Wireless Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise and click on "Connect"3. On the next window configure the following settings and keep the rest untouched Authentication: Tunneled TLS CA Certificate: None Inner authentication: MSCHAPv2 Username: e.g. 1100255691 Password: Ubuntu might ask you to setup / enter a "keyring" password, this is not related to your Tikona account, but this is actually a Password to keep your Account Passwords safe. Enter any valid password and remember it, since Ubuntu might ask for it next time you try to connect to tikonawifi.4. Click on "Connect" and you should be connected to Internet over WiFi :urock:Remember a few things, Tikona's router / modem doesn't broadcast the SSID, so it is called a Hidden Network. There is no point in trying to access the router's configuration page coz the admin page url is different for different devices as Tikona has altered it before installing it at your home. Further, Tikona also have the ability to monitor & modify the settings of your router / modem remotely.Hope the above steps helps someone needy!

Back