Ubuntu 10.04 aka The Lucid Lynx launched!

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 86
  • Views Views 26,123
Ubuntu One music store launched :D

canonical has partnered with 7digital.

you can buy music using a credit card or paypal account.

though availability is likely to depend upon the region. i doubt all the songs are going to be available in all the markets.

the thing is... with ubuntu one, canonical is trying to generate revenues through this open source offering. it already has a cloud storage model which you can pay for. now you get your own music store where you can shop.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

more on: Ubuntu One Music Store

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

important bit:
Q: What regions of the world will be able to purchase songs?
Most popular songs are licensed by territory (basically by country). Our starting territories will be the UK, US, Germany, the rest of the EU (EU countries outside of the UK and Germany), and the rest of the world (countries outside the EU and US). Customers who use the EU store will have access to purchase songs from two of the four major labels. Customers who use the World store will have access to purchase songs from independent labels.

Update 27 Feb, 2010: Perhaps we could have been a bit more clear about this. Customers who use the UK, US, and Germany stores will have access to purchase songs from all major and independent music labels.

Canonical will analyze usage of the EU and World stores after the 10.04 launch to decide which territories would be best for expansion. Watch the Ubuntu One blog in the months following the launch of Ubuntu 10.04 for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
@alig, i havent used the music store myself but i believe all music is copyrighted - all DRM-free - some free of cost, some paid-for... rough idea:

Hands-on: Ubuntu One music store will rock in Lucid Lynx
Nexus One, Rhythmbox One, Ubuntu One (Music Store) | The Iron Lion : Code Zion
Ubuntu One Music Store now in public beta | The Fridge

check out the wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOne/MusicStore

AERO-like interface forget about emerald etc (those are old) just stick with the current/latest "desktop effects" options that comes built in to linux assuming your graphics card has drivers that support such effects... including AERO-like animations/transparencies etc...

Linux (not just Ubuntu) is known to consume little more power - sometimes the CPU governor is at fault , usually its background apps/services which take power... latest 10.04 may or may not be better....

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

I downloaded and modified that bootup screen called "ubuntu space sunrise plymouth theme" you can find it if you search for it... but i would stick to the standard ones - there is also "solar" theme from fedora available in ubuntu :)

ahahaha :D it could turn out to be so true...

Back