Ubuntu 10.04 aka The Lucid Lynx launched!

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 86
  • Views Views 26,123
alright. i still cannot install ubuntu 10.04 using Wubi. :(

took the long way out!

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

how do i connect to facebook using empathy?

pidgin settings are not working for me!

jabber is what i am supposed to use right?

OK guys, I am too lazy to check, so is this out now?Also, what is the minimum space required to install. I have like 2 GB free on my system :D

beta 2 is out.

and well less than 10GB is not desirable. you might be able to install it on 4-5GB. 2GB is a bit too low. :D

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

downloaded and installed 9.10 using Wubi.

upgrading to 10.04 from Distribution Upgrade is almost done.

Let's see if it works!

1mbps makes this possible in HALF the TIME! :D

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

crap i am now stuck here :(

to connect to facebook/twitter etc you run the "gwibber" microblog app, should be under internet section... also that "empathy" program for other chats (gmail/msn/jabber etc)...

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

why do you keep bothering with WUBI it always gives bad results :D just install it on bare metal (separate partition!)

do not have enough disk space to run it separately. :D my desktop is still messed up (both RAM chips died!). currently on the laptop with just 150GB of space.

@ Admin - I use Facebook chat with Pidgin and I frankly think its a much better program than empathy, with a huge collection of plugins. I use plugins like spam filter and bot filter (especially useful for yahoo) where if someone who is not on my friends list , sends me a message the client just asks them a question (custom), only if they answer correctly does the message get delievered to me. I also use auto reply when away with Pidgin. I just love it.
Anywho here is an article I found which teaches how to use empathy with ubuntu, I have not tried it, so if you do just give us your feedback if it works.

well of course pidgin is much better than empathy. but empathy is now the default on ubuntu... pidgin still does not work with video and voice chat from what i know even on linux platform. i was just checked out empathy. of course i have no love for it. i use pidgin on windows. since wubi pretty much crapped on me, i am back on windows for now.

Maybe you can try later when 10.04 is out of Beta, I am sure other people have had the same issue as you. I had an issue with WUBI before where Ubuntu did not boot and gave an error. I finally found the solution @ Launchpad. Maybe that is a good place to look. BTW I uninstalled empathy and made pidgin my default on Ubuntu.

Back