Ubuntu 10.04 aka The Lucid Lynx launched!

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 86
  • Views Views 26,119
hehe. dude u gotta have time and resources to play around with so many distros. :D

Not really, its like having this one distro that provides you with stable, cutting edge version of all that u want without ever re-installing it. I gave names of Arch and Chakra as options not that u have to try both. If you want to know more abt Rolling Release funda then read Rolling release - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Arch seems to be the most popular and easiest to setup and if u want a hassle free one then you can look at "built-upon" options like Chakra (Arch + KDE), ArchBang (Arch+Openbox) etc. This is similar to Ubuntu family-Ubuntu (Ubuntu Base + Gnome), Kubuntu (Ubuntu base + KDE), Xubuntu (Ubuntu Base + XFCE) etc. Choose one, if you are afraid, try first in a Virtualbox or qemu etc and then once comfortable install it as ur main OS.

I was a die-hard Kubuntu fan but having to wait for new software(except KDE where kubuntu shines) and having to re-install my OS or risk package breakages when new versions were released made me make the switch, arch is one of the finest with excellent user support, documentation is one of the best in any distro.

running ubuntu 10.04 using wubi right now on my Dell laptop.

installed slow this time around as i think it now connects to the ubuntu servers automatically and download some updates and language packs.

openoffice is installed! i thought they had removed the installers for openoffice this time around.

openoffice has oracle branding :D

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

my 24 inch external display was detected automatically as usual.

resolution is fine.

i have yet to receive any message to update to proprietary nvidia driver.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

right now download chrome dev channel for ubuntu 64 bit and opera 10.5x test release. :)

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

ok. the message for the video driver was in the task bar... installing it now.

neh. windows 7 is on my desktop which is still not repaired (both RAM chips faulty!).

i did not use the Wubi installer from Wubi website (that still shows 9.10 edition). i used the build from ubuntu website! :D

Download Ubuntu Windows Installer | Ubuntu

nothing mentioned about no compatibility with windows 7 here though.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

google chrome on ubuntu... looks pretty cool. colors are as per the new ubuntu theme. rather than the ugly blue! :D

Hmm, interesting, cant wait to try 10.04 on my laptop with Win 7, hope it doesnt pass away in between like 9.10 :)

opera 10.53 on ubuntu 9.10

now trying to install flash plugin.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

here is the missing plugin error on youtube:

fonts are much better on firefox compared to chrome for some reason!

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

got this message as i tried to install adobe flash plugin:

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

got this weird error:

now trying through ubuntu software center.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

installing through ubuntu software center:

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

here is openoffice starting up:

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

i think it looks hideous :(

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

almost all chrome extensions i use seem to be working fine on the ubuntu version. so that's cool.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

installing google desktop now coz i like the google quick search box.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

ooh thunderbird does not come pre-installed.

ubuntu software center has 3.0.4 edition. so that's cool.

i had hard time getting thunderbird 3 to work on ubuntu 9.10!

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

adobe flash works... cool enough.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

google chrome on ubuntu is behaving slightly different compared to chrome on windows when it comes to text selection.

i double click on a word to select it. then i click on the word next to it to select it as well.

on windows, it selects those two words. but here on ubuntu, it would select the entire paragraph. nuisance. let's hope this is a reported bug because i don't think i am going to report it myself. or maybe i would!

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Gwibber is pretty awesome. Maybe too awesome for me now that I have added all my social accounts on it!

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

as expected my regular Windows installation is accessible without any manual configuration from the HOST folder in Root.

this is a major convenience.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

i hate that the volume feature on Rhythmbox is accessible through a button which has to be clicked. it should have been a visible feature so that i can change the sound without CLICKING on a button!

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

haha filed a bug report. Issue 42928 - chromium - Text selection behavior problem on Chrome for Linux - Project Hosting on Google Code lets hope they do not ban me for wasting their time!

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

empathy cannot seem to connect with facebook. that's weird.

Wow....That is a hell lots of updates.....!!!So What is your final verdict...??Do you like it....??So can Ubuntu 10.04 be used as Primary OS and Is this a real competition for windows...??

i have used ubuntu as my primary OS for like 6 months in one go 1-2 years ago. i can do that. it require some changes in my workflow. not really interested in doing so for the time being. but ubuntu is rock solid as a primary OS for anyone who has no specific needs to remain on Windows.

empathy does not allow you to merge contacts under a single name. that sucks. i am too used to seeing merged entities in pidgin :(

Back