Ubuntu help required

• Thread starter Thread starter manu1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 67
  • Views Views 12,927
btw i dont think ill need to use GRUB because it already has it.
So the instructions apply to you.
Ok i did change the pass but wat about the username ?
the username is root. once you login as this user you can change the password for every other user. You can look at /etc/passwd file for the other usernames and reset it accordingly.
is it possible to reset the password of root? without knowing the current password?
yes, thats why you need to password protect your grub menu as well. But then you can boot from the cd or a usb, so now you need to password protect the BIOS. But then you can reset the BIOS password as well. Which is why the age old security protocol called the lock and key works best and you can throw in a few armed guards as well

best solution. turn off the comp and throw it in the sea.

Thats the reason for any work PC, no account information (username/password) is ever stored on machine (e.g. no /etc/passwd file), and users are not allowed to store anything in local hard drive.Users can save files (and thus data) in "My Documents" which is almost always mapped to some network storage.

ok so the username is root i have access to the recovery console and i know how to change the password@ dips0502 "You can look at /etc/passwd file" - what command do i use for that because i cant access it via the gui screen it says the system admin is not allowed to login via this screen what the hell the admin cant login normally

Open a Shell/Terminal/Command WindowAnd run this command:1. su bash2. cat /etc/passwd This will list all users.

this isnt workin , when i type su bash it says Unknown id : bashand when i run cat/etc/passwd it says no such directory exists ?????

Why is su/sudo needed? If he is in a recovery console, so won't it be root by default?@manu1991Arre bhai itne jhanjhat kyun le raha hai? Download the Ubuntu ISO from ubuntu.com. Do a reinstall. Even if you get access to your preinstalled system, it would be no better than a newly installed one. If you don't have the resources to download, order a CD for free from shipit.ubuntu.com. Even better, install PCLinuxOS ;) (if you can grab an image of that from somewhere).

Back