Ubuntu help required

• Thread starter Thread starter manu1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 67
  • Views Views 12,927
umm wont sudo ask for his root password :P

It should not. It stores list of all users that are allowed to "sudo" i think in /etc/sudoers, benefit is they need not knoe root password. And root can limit what commands can be executed by sudoers.

ApoorvBest advice ^^ manu didn't had any acess to ubantu so no worry of data loss.But this is worth to know....I was shown how to recover access to root without knowing the root password....in my college....but now i fogot....so can some1 give the exact steps...:P

and when i run cat/etc/passwd it says no such directory exists ?????
I hope you realize there is a space between cat and /etc/passwd !
If you still cant access the file trying adding a new user using the following 2 commands
adduser newuser
passwd newuser
and then see if u can login to the gui shell

yahoo i finally managed to create a new user and access the gui shell:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:The interface looks nice and slickso now ill go around testing ubuntu @apoorv - A clean install was not possible as this installation already had all the drivers and some software like open office etc installed

excellent.clean installation is possible coz you usually do not install drivers on linux (it can get quite painful i think)... everything autodetects 99.999% of the times.and openoffice comes preinstalled. actually enough stuff comes preinstalled. for other stuff you have synaptic package manager. just select and click 2-3 times. things auto download, auto install. ;)

would it auto install my laser printer and scanner ?if yes then maybe ill do a clean installi also have to install a tv tuner (if it is possible)

If you have a good, recognised TV Tuner (Pinnacle, etc.) then it wil be autodetected and auto-supported. You'll just have to install MythTV or XawTV to setup your TV Tuner card. But if you have an unsupported, sasta card like me (Intex), then you'll have to make some effort to use your card.

umm does the current installation have them installed? if yes... save it :Dtv tuner. mine was auto detected when i had it and i tried linux. funny thing was that xp sp2 would not run that card :Dinstalling printers. i have had bad experiences in the past.. but that was long time back. have not tried on my current installation.right mine was pinnacle and it had issues with sp2 :D

Iut if you have an unsupported, sasta card like me (Intex), then you'll have to make some effort to use your card.
Mine is Intex Only :):):):):):)
then ill not install it ill use xp to watch tv

Back