Ubuntu help required

• Thread starter Thread starter manu1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 67
  • Views Views 12,927
^^Yup. This is a place where Windows wins. Linux today is largely dependent of having a stable and fast internet connection. You can't enjoy Linux without having a broadband connection. This is not the case with Windows, as most of the packages are third-party and are available on CDs. openSUSE is one distro that tries to eliminate this problem, but still, it does not include the essential proprietary codecs.

umm ur highly mistake.linux default installation comes loaded with enough utilities to make it a usable office machine.windows machine... no sire.if you are talking about codecs, windows machine would technically win on some formats like mp3 and wmv. you still need codex for divx and other stuff. linux... most distro would come loaded only with open source stuff. but there are distros out there which would run more stuff out of the box compared to windows. so it's a solvable problem.also... on a windows machine... you would be afraid to connect it to net and give access to a dude. you would first consider installing firewall, antivirus and antispyware application.on linux, you have firefox preloaded and there are few chances that the comp would get messed up due to crap downloads.

I agree with sushubh.I new install of Linux is waayy much more functional than Windows. I get everything right gtom office to firefox.In the new PCLinuxOS which I downloaded yesterday, there is everything ..see this listfirefox, opera, konqueror for browsingOpenoffice (I agree its lacks the refinement of M$ Office , but I never need those advanced features for my simple tasks!! Most users never need them)Kopete for yahoo , msn , googletalk, aim etc etcAll codecs for mp3,wma,xvid,divx etc preinstalled.Amarok player for audio (its the best on this planet)Mplayer/Kaffeine for VIdeo playback and streaming3-D desktop using beryl /compiz etc (Vista eye candy no match for this)All nvidia /ati driversmost ethernet chip drivers, sound card drivers.PPPOE support for bridge mode in DSL or using cable internet like mine bluetooth stack built in.KDE preconfigured for eye candy!!and lots more...What else would one want from an OS. It also has GUI control Center like windblowsHeck ,I used all this from the live CD itself , no need to install too!!Fedora core which I use has all this minus the codecs. The codecs ae installed in a few minutes from the freshrpms repository. I had made my Fedora core 3 multimedia ready in just under an hour on my Dial-Up a few years ago.

a usable office machine.

Yeah, for office use, a default linux installation would suffice. But not for home/personal use. For home use, an internet connecion is must (for all the codecs, eye candy, themes, and other dependencies).

I never challenged the security of linux. That is an area where any linux distro wins hands down.

3-D desktop using beryl /compiz etc (Vista eye candy no match for this)

Not sure if that thing is right. Based on screenshots pasted on

beryl [OR Grafix driver in the PC] seems to be lacking in grafix.

Look at the lines, they can help some smoothning.

For example, lines just above and below (PC) icon and 11:41 time in taskbar seem to be way too jagged.

Similarly quality of shading in gradient at bottom (With large PCLinux Logo) is poor, gradient it too sharp.

Last edited by a moderator:
did u post your problem in the ubuntu forum? cuz.. the whole time i've used ubuntu.. i never got that error when i tried to check my network settings.. all it asked was a password for me to enter which is the same password i use for login (which should be the case with all systems)..there probably is a command line that can sort out that error..

Not sure if that thing is right. Based on screenshots pasted on

beryl [OR Grafix driver in the PC] seems to be lacking in grafix.

Look at the lines, they can help some smoothning.

For example, lines just above and below (PC) icon and 11:41 time in taskbar seem to be way too jagged.

Similarly quality of shading in gradient at bottom (With large PCLinux Logo) is poor, gradient it too sharp.
i think that's coz he is using an onboard graphic card. am sure with a high quality card the graphics would be much better. i liked the effects on my geforce 4 mx 64 megs (4 year old card!).

and vista wont even let me run aero on this card.

and beryl is a work in progress anyways :D

Last edited:
@aniketvb

Dude, maine hi to PCLinuxOS ke baare mein hungama machaya hua hai!

@netfreak

I'm using a stupid onboard card. Beryl chalat hai, yahii bahut badi baat hai :p. There is an option called "mipmap" which highly improves the quality, but it makes the system slow.

and beryl is a work in progress anyways :D

Quite impressive for a work in progress project but not there yet, as compared to Vista.

I got Vista DVD in mail yesterday and GUI is quite impressive. Not talking about Eye candy but general UI integration.

Thing I like is how easily desktop search works across documents and emails. Its cool to be able to search across 15 years worth of documents and emails. [It even works with WordStar files :) ]. Picture gallery comes across as a polished tool too.

Agreed that the same can be achieved with Google Desktop + Picasa on XP (And Beagle on Linux). But none of them are as integrated as Vista and are not available out of box.

@aniketvb

Dude, maine hi to PCLinuxOS ke baare mein hungama machaya hua hai!

@netfreak

I'm using a stupid onboard card. Beryl chalat hai, yahii bahut badi baat hai :p. There is an option called \"mipmap\" which highly improves the quality, but it makes the system slow.

Yea man, you did the right thing !! This release is worth all the noise its making!!
The 0.93 release was not so good,..thats why I never said much about it. Still I used the 0.93 live cd to get my documents from a failed XP installation in my college computer!!

@netfreak
bhai..if you purchased Vista please let me know its price..

Back