Very-very long-range wifi modem

• Thread starter Thread starter mydearvipan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 59,483
ISP
BSNL
I have a 4-storey building open from center, and rooms with very thick walls all around...
I want to build a strong wifi network... I am currently using BSNL broadband...
Following are my questions :
1. Should I use separate modem and router OR modem-cum-router ?
2. I need very very long range with strong signals...
3. Please suggest me the reliable options..
4. Budget will be around 10k...
thanks guys

1. doesn't matter (check 3)
2. you will get very very very very long range with strong signals
3. REPEATER
4. just visit flipkart and look for repeaters, i am pretty sure you will get it much under 10k

Recently I got a Netgear repeater WR3000 or something I guess and it works pretty properly.However,you will need a couple of those for 4-storey building.The one I bought was around 3100 and I covers two floors.So,combine two of them and it should be good.Or maybe three?
The other option is to get a costly one which provides way more range...like the one Cisco offers.But,IMO those netgear extenders are better.You MAY need only two of them and by that you will save a lot of money :P

you know how to build antennas? if so then install omni-spider antennas and poof problem solved. you dont need to spend too much on routers, you need to know antenna design properly. you can get either directional antenna or omnidirectional antenna. for your case. you need to check if you got antenna installed properly and also calculate the frasnel zone. if these are done correctly? you are done. else spend on expensive equipments.
hth
-paul
get an openwrt supported device with detachable antennas and also with USB, then you can have IDS and IPS and antivirus and other stuffs. plus detach old antennae and refit the ones you constructed. i got myself built a double - double biquad. hmmmmmmmmmm, i can sniff a lot of cake. i mounted it on my terrace and i can sniff the cake out around 2-2.5 km away. GOOD STUFF. google double biquad.
its dirt easy. omnidirectionals are shitty tough to build. try the directional ones. they are easy.
hth
-paul

quackquack said:
you know how to build antennas? if so then install omni-spider antennas and poof problem solved. you dont need to spend too much on routers, you need to know antenna design properly. you can get either directional antenna or omnidirectional antenna. for your case. you need to check if you got antenna installed properly and also calculate the frasnel zone. if these are done correctly? you are done. else spend on expensive equipments.
hth
-paul
get an openwrt supported device with detachable antennas and also with USB, then you can have IDS and IPS and antivirus and other stuffs. plus detach old antennae and refit the ones you constructed. i got myself built a double - double biquad. hmmmmmmmmmm, i can sniff a lot of cake. i mounted it on my terrace and i can sniff the cake out around 2-2.5 km away. GOOD STUFF. google double biquad.
its dirt easy. omnidirectionals are shitty tough to build. try the directional ones. they are easy.
hth
-paul
Can you share some pictures of your build and from where you got it done? I have a spare Yagi antenna lying around from a car worldspace receiver. Can that be leveraged?

10k?! Is the Asus 56/66TU model costlier than that? Supposed to have good range, but 4 storeys? Might have to up the budget or hunt for a friendly dealer who can lend you a trial of the routers and see! lol Two or more means extra power consumption, so am wondering if that's the desired result in the long run?Anyway you might say, if I can afford four storeys I can manage that too :} lol

Back