Very-very long-range wifi modem

• Thread starter Thread starter mydearvipan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 59,483
In such a case, I'd have suggested that you buy a better router, but, since that isnt possible. Get this - https://www.flipkart.com/netgear-wn3000rp-universal-wi-fi-range-extender/p/itmd6ffb7xwg49mv

Is a little costly, and might be overkill. If you're looking for something cheaper, do let me know.

And, connect the D-Link modem in the ps3 room, that'll ensure best possible latency.
Thanks a lot!
The price is fine.

Umm.. Also how do I set up the Extender? I have no clue.
And after I set it up, confirm this: does it have any wires? Or just one to power?

And finally, you say to connect the D-Link one in the PS3 room? Then how do I get the Internet to my computer at point A?

For setting it up, iirc, you need to push the wps button on both. If that fails, one can always configure it manually once you get the device. Yes, there'd be no wires. It fits directly into the power socket. Assuming you don't have one, get a wifi adapter for the pc. Else, see how the latency is with repeater on your current setup, if its poor, then shift the modem (and buy the adapter), else leave it as it is.

Thanks! I'll check the latency and let you know. I don't have a wifi adapter so if I need I can buy it later. What's iirc?

Oho! I just saw that I can use a repeater to connect one/two smart devices via a wired connection.. Wooohooo! And also I'd like to tell you that although I'm inquiring right now, I'll be purchasing this after my exams get over, I.e. end may.

Oh okay. Sorry Kapoor and hope that info can be helpful for the OP or anyone else with the same requirement! lol Okay I too have a D-Link 2750U. The wifi range is NOT that much through multiple walls(even two) and since the signal drops, naturally everything else gets affected.Also watch which servers you join because geographical location will affect pings and you will get kicked off game servers automatically as most of them are intolerable to any user with high ping rates. The closer the server to your location, the better it will be. Also check if there is any blocking by the firewall.Does the PS3 have a wired connection or a WiFi dongle or something to connect? Just see that there are not too many things blocking the signal. Maybe it's inside a shelf or something and/or the port is at the back of the device and the signal is blocked a bit more. Also signal can be affected due to electronic disturbance from other electronic devices nearby. Just see that their power wires don't run near it.Okay back to your problem, you can get the wireless repeater and maybe keep the modem near your PC because you need a wired connection and have the repeater nearer to the PS3's location but yet not too much out of line of sight of the modem router or else signal loss will be there.Is it possible to mount the Modem on the edge of that 3-foot wall like I inquired wherein you can get a longer ethernet cable and attach it to your PC and then the wifi signal to the repeater will be better since lesser blockage. Just a thought.

I play on the same servers near the router and far from it at point B. The PS3 connects wirelessly and I don't think anything is blocking it. It's not possible to mount the router anywhere else than where it is. I'll get a repeater and maybe have a wired connection from it to the PS3... Let's see. Anyway thanks!

Back