Videocon D2h first day experience- Ordered online

• Thread starter Thread starter aashishkul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 332
  • Views Views 52,002
Ok, so do mention what problem u found. Coz few of us have used D2h only, and hence we dont know whats lacking! :)

Ok, so do mention what problem u found. Coz few of us have used D2h only, and hence we dont know whats lacking! :)

As such I have not faced or facing any issue with D2H and I am happy from all aspect..even I interacted with CC guys over the phone and things delivered immediately.

Since I was using Dish TV, I can compare both, as mentioned, Dish tv has pathetic customer service. Usually i prefer not to interact over the phone but on mail or through website but Dish tv have very bad website as well as they never reply on emails. I bough their box in 2003 in Rs 7500/- and this year box has given up. Dish tv asked Rs 800 to repair the box which is not acceptable in any circumstances as new box are coming very cheap and with free recharges. It was cricket world cup season (though i hardly watch sports), where my brother told me his story..how cable got problem in his house and he walk out to look at which DTH can install immediately (he is big cricket freak) being match of India. It was D2H who install this within 45 minutes after buying from dealer. Situation was same with me where my wife was about to screw me to if miss the evening sop. The major factor was the pricing...all major channels in Rs 139 at that time..where in dish has lower package but all main channels were missing.

Now coming to the picture quality...this is highly debatable things. Because meaning of "picture quality" is different for each and based on their like, interest, understanding and knowledge of video processing system. I am in video processing area as hobby and have spend lot of money buying camcoders and softwares. India is really a big dumping ground for companies due the lack of awareness about these area. The biggest evidence is where companies has almost locked the people mind that mpeg4 technology is better. We Indian people simply go by advertisement and need not bother to verify. People moving from cable or Dish TV has complain of picture quality because of this reason..difficult to explain the technicality..but I am trying to explain here.

mpeg4 or mpeg2 are the video compression technology. This help to reduce the file size so streaming the file require less band width. Mpeg2 take large space where in mp4 take lesser space. Since all D2H operator require KU transponder bandwidth to beam the channels and transponders are costly, they prefer MP4 compression technology. In this way they can beam more channels in one transponder of satelite. Here is how they started filling up mind that we have mp4 technolgy which is superior...but in reality this is not the case. Noe going more in details, these compression technology (mpeg2, mpeg4, Divx, Avi, mkv etc) called "container" in technical term. Higher the compression, lower the video output quality in terms of sharpness. Video quality (colour, pixelling, contrast etc) are define by technical term "codec". some codec works better in highly compressed video to bring them back to almost same visible quality (for our eyes only). For example, mpeg4 works better with codec mp4 itself or h263. Avi container works better with codec xvid. HD works better if container MKV used with codec h264. All these are for compression only to have lesser size file and save money by hiring lesser transponders. Simply in calculation, a HD movie in blue ray disk takes 40gb space, you encode to compress using mkv container and h264 codec that comes down to approx 2gb only. Quality degrade but not visible for common man. Simply think if quality would be same, why 40 gb blue ray disk why not 2gb dvd?

Hope above give some clarity how these DTH operators making us fool.
Now coming to the picture quality of d2h and dish, off course differences are there as bot use different compression. Since mpeg4 reduce the sharpness, operator beam the channels with very high sharpness that result silver lining on edges of picture and turn ugly if you watch the tv closely. Since they use mp4 codec that make picture more contrast, that make picture ghosty with silver edging. This is where people feel picture quality is dull.

Mpeg4 compression can also produce better video if bit rate kept high. Normal DVD this is usually 8mbps. But again that require little bit higher band width that Tata Sky and other operator using mpeg4 are managing. But with D2h, they have lesser band width (only 6tps) so if they increase the bit rate, they can't beam all these large number of channels in 6tp. So they try to keep optimum and also they take acre of popular channels.

Also, those channels operataor operate dth, usually give their channels feed to other dth operator at lower bit rate. This mean primary feed is not very good. For example, you can see very good quality zee network channels on dish tv, very good start group channels on tata sky, very good quality sun group channels on sun dth but these are not as good as on competitor dth operators. So you will see same quality of picture across all d2h operators for tv18 groups channels and set max channels because they do not run properitory DTH.

Ur explanation on compression & codecs is good.But i thought that in wide screens TV, no matter what quality of input u have, u will see some clarity issues, if u watch it closely. That happens when i watch videos thru PC (I have connected PC to my 42" LED). I have to actually move back so that i get a better view of the video.

hey guys,srry for the delay on the update,as i was away for the long weekend. well, my connection was up and running on 31 aug,intime for the t20 match,and the guy whose call i had recorded,himself came to apologize and regretted his behaviour. so 1 thing i have learnt,that be it any kind of customer service, we consumers should always make the recording of the conversations which helps in the resolution of the matter.now coming to pq of the d2h. espn and star cricket hd are amazing. i found some pixelation on travel xp(not significant) compared to dish tv,maybe it's due to compression technology of mpeg4. but it can be adjusted through the tv settings. but there's a lot of improvement in pq of sd channels compared to dish tv. in the d2h stb settings have you guys enabled the 22khz option? there is 1 more option above 22khz called "disreq"(something like that),what's that option for??jaymin thnks for your help. whenever now a days i log on to net,i visit ibf for sure.

Thats a good news that ur issue has been solved. And yes no matter what kind of support u have, u shud be alert in ur ways. But just an advice for future in dealing with these guys - normally, NORMALLY they do the task allotted within reasonable time. V dont have to run after them. But yeah, the moment u feel that "Reasonable" limit has gone, u have to keep nagging them, and last resort is of course the TRAI!!

About pixelation - i noticed that few times during bad weather only. Have u ensured ur Signal Quality is 100% and that the Signal Strength is atleast 90-95% ?? This is the minimum requirement to enjoy good quality viewing, with minimum or no disturbance.

About that 22 khz thing, i dont have much idea of it! Havent done much R&D at system level in the HD DVR.

whenever now a days i log on to net,i visit ibf for sure.

Thats always welcome, its a cool place to hangout! :D When i started, i also started just to ask a few D2h related queries. But i liked the place & have been very active since then.

signal strength is 100 % but quality is about 80 %. that day,the installation guy had forgot the signal meter and was testing the signal through a sample sd stb. i went through the signal clarity thread,where you and mascot were getting 100 % signal quality,but mascot was saying,in rainy season it does dips to around 80%. so after rainy season will it automatically bump to 100 % or should i have to call the technician for realignment?

Are you sure bro that Signal Sthrength is 100% and Quality id 80% bcoz it sud remain vice-versa. And Today in not raining so you can better test it today itself. If its not as mentioned, then ask engineer to come up and re-align Antenna and ask him to come with LNB meter. That wud be easy for him and good for your viewing :)

Back