Vodafone India: Set up internet / GPRS on iphone - it worked

• Thread starter Thread starter broadband
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 155
  • Views Views 239,167
Hi,

I have gone through the forum quite extensively. thanks for your inputs. although i do consider myself a noob, i am a bit confused here.
I have just moved to mumbai and i am on vodafone and i am on PrePaid
This is the link to the vodafone connect website for mumbai Mobile Connect - Internet through Mobile | Vodafone Mumbai

Now i have an unlocked iPhone 4 which is currently not on any data plan. Just correct me if i am wrong here for the steps which are to be followed..

1. I top up for Rs. 95 ie 2 gb for 1 month (or do i require any other subscription to go with it)
2. Use the unlock nz website and input all apn, etc
3. Now this is the part where i am confused..Will 95 rs on prepaid let me use all my apps, browse, etc on gprs with your suggested hack or will i be billed 10p/10kb? What i believed was iphone required a 'special subscription'..So will this hack ensure that the iphone could work under the gprs plan for 95 bucks?

Thanks in advance mate

If you need only a GPRS plan and no 3G then you can opt for the Rs 99 for 2GB plan. It will work after you have setup a configuration profile using the unlockit website. You will not be charged 10p/10kb as long as your usage is within the 2GB limit.

Personally, I would recommend you get an official Micro-SIM from Vodafone (if you don't already have one) and activate one of the iPhone plans. I think it is Rs 299 for 2GB. iPhone services are already active on a Micro-SIM and you don't need to worry about changing APNs or setting up configuration issues. I faced a lot of network issues while I was using a regular Vodafone SIM that I had cut into a Micro-SIM. After I got a Micro SIM from them I haven't faced any issues.

Try out the services with the SIM you have.. If you face issues, get a Micro SIM.

HiI have activated 3G services on my iPhone 4 by sending sms as ACT 3G to 144 and received msg saying 3g pack has been activated but i do not get the 3g icon on my status bar. Do I have to buy one of those 3G packs to actually have 3g internet.I have turned on 3g and cellular data network in setting but i only get edge receptionI have also tried resetting networks connection, rebooting phone reinserting sim but none workedplz helpthanks

Hi

I have activated 3G services on my iPhone 4 by sending sms as ACT 3G to 144 and received msg saying 3g pack has been activated but i do not get the 3g icon on my status bar.
Do I have to buy one of those 3G packs to actually have 3g internet.
I have turned on 3g and cellular data network in setting but i only get edge reception
I have also tried resetting networks connection, rebooting phone reinserting sim but none worked

plz help
thanks

Unfortunately on Vodafone you cannot use 3G services only by activating 3G services on your SIM. You will need to select one of the 3G plans and activate it before you will be able to use 3G data.

guys i got a iPhone 4 factory unlocked running IOS 5, i got a Vodafone postpaid plan which by default as Vodafone live unlimited. i was able to browse 2 months back with no data package for my iphone with just this Vodafone live.but now its not working, and i tried with the unlockit.co.nz created profiles and no luck ....but the Vodafone live works if i switch the sim to another mobile.i would like to make use of this unlimited Vodafone live, instead of me activating plans of 3g which as no meaning to the data usage we get for the money we pay...thanks in advance ..

guys i got a iPhone 4 factory unlocked running IOS 5, i got a Vodafone postpaid plan which by default as Vodafone live unlimited. i was able to browse 2 months back with no data package for my iphone with just this Vodafone live.

but now its not working, and i tried with the unlockit.co.nz created profiles and no luck ....

but the Vodafone live works if i switch the sim to another mobile.

i would like to make use of this unlimited Vodafone live, instead of me activating plans of 3g which as no meaning to the data usage we get for the money we pay...

thanks in advance ..

I would not recommend using your iPhone with the Vodafone Live service. Vodafone Live is a WAP service and as result you will not be able to use all the features on your iPhone. You might be able to use the browser on the device but you will have issues with running all your apps. If you are nit interested in Vodafone's 3G data service, which I agree is insanely over priced, I would suggest you opt for one of their 2G VMC plans. They start at around Rs 99 for 2GB.

The unlockit solution will not work for the Vodafone live service unless you choose the Custom option and add the APN yourself. The Vodafone Live service uses the portalnmms APN. The default APN that the unlockit website sets up is www which is the APN for the 2G VMC & 3G data services.

Another thing that I would recommend is that you get iPhone services activated on your SIM (if you have not already activated them). This takes away the hassle of having to setup configuration profiles for your APN setting.

Let me know if you need more help.

I would not recommend using your iPhone with the Vodafone Live service. Vodafone Live is a WAP service and as result you will not be able to use all the features on your iPhone. You might be able to use the browser on the device but you will have issues with running all your apps. If you are nit interested in Vodafone's 3G data service, which I agree is insanely over priced, I would suggest you opt for one of their 2G VMC plans. They start at around Rs 99 for 2GB.

The unlockit solution will not work for the Vodafone live service unless you choose the Custom option and add the APN yourself. The Vodafone Live service uses the portalnmms APN. The default APN that the unlockit website sets up is www which is the APN for the 2G VMC & 3G data services.

Another thing that I would recommend is that you get iPhone services activated on your SIM (if you have not already activated them). This takes away the hassle of having to setup configuration profiles for your APN setting.

Let me know if you need more help.

I have downloaded the unlockit profile on my iphone. The issue Im facing is:

1. portalnmms profile is working fine ( safari is working fine ) but Im unable to run applications like whatsapp, email etc
2. www profile says that ' You are not subscribed to a cellular data service ' and nothing works
3. when I use another sim card ( vodafone sim card ), the www profile runs perfectly

What could be the possible solution to this problem ?

I have downloaded the unlockit profile on my iPhone. The issue Im facing is:

1. portalnmms profile is working fine ( safari is working fine ) but Im unable to run applications like whatsapp, email etc
2. www profile says that ' You are not subscribed to a cellular data service ' and nothing works
3. when I use another sim card ( vodafone sim card ), the www profile runs perfectly

What could be the possible solution to this problem ?

Do you have a data plan active on your Vodafone connection? If yes, which plan?
What is the APN that is set on the unlockit profile on your phone?
What is the data plan that is active on the alternate sim card you tried?

It seems like you are on a Vodafone Live data plan. Like I clearly mentioned in my earlier post (the one you quoted), you will face such issues with the Vodafone Live service. Get a 2G (VMC) or 3G data plan activated.

Do you have a data plan active on your Vodafone connection? If yes, which plan?
What is the APN that is set on the unlockit profile on your phone?
What is the data plan that is active on the alternate sim card you tried?

It seems like you are on a Vodafone Live data plan. Like I clearly mentioned in my earlier post (the one you quoted), you will face such issues with the Vodafone Live service. Get a 2G (VMC) or 3G data plan activated.

Yes. Im on vodafone live data plan. how do I activate 2g ( vmc ) plan ?

Yes. Im on vodafone live data plan. how do I activate 2g ( vmc ) plan ?

Apps will not work properly on the Vodafone Live as it is a WAP service. Get a 2G/3G plan activated per your requirement.

I don't have the SMS codes handy for the 2G service. You could call customer service for activation or visit a Vodafone store.

Apps will not work properly on the Vodafone Live as it is a WAP service. Get a 2G/3G plan activated per your requirement.

I don't have the SMS codes handy for the 2G service. You could call customer service for activation or visit a Vodafone store.

It is working now. Thanks a ton :-)

Back