What speed does WiFi router gives when used with MTNL broadband ADSL modem ?

• Thread starter Thread starter nicesachin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 7,456

nicesachin

ISP
Reliance Wimax.
I have MTNL broadband connection with plan DSL 399. I get 700 MB of download with about 1.5 Mbps of speed (i.e download speed of about 130 to 160 Kbps) This is the speed when i connect my laptop with Adsl modem provided by them. My question is if i connect my adsl with a wifi router and then use internet via wifi lan. Will i get the same speed ? If no then how much will be the appproximate download speed ?

yes you will.. wifi speeds are 54mbps or 108mbps(depends on your wifi router)..so you will definetly get the full internet speed

I have a D-Link 502T (from 2005) & Linksys WRT54G (From 2007). There should not be much of a difference between connected by LAN wire or thru wireless. But a lot also depends on the firewall, vaccines, pop up blockers & similar s/w which monitor the download in some manner. eg I have on my desktop running XP SP2, ZoneAlarm Pro, Mcafee enterprise edition 8.5i plus DU meter, Spybot S&D and google toolbar in the browser which has a popup blocker and I get speeds upto to 220 kbps download speed (I am on 599 plan). The speed shown below was on a lousy day.:) And on my laptop I get about the same but never below 118 kbps. (On the laptop running Vista, I use Comodo firewall & the same vaccine as above + Defender) Assuming 1 machine is downloading at any given time:). Also other factors like the distance between the WiFi router & lapop as also the obstructions between these two have an effect on the signal strength received by the laptop

you will get the same speeds unless the signal is low. if you place your laptop at a distance and the signal becomes weak, you may face dropouts, low speed, loss of connection (from laptop to router). wifi signal reduces drastically because of walls and other obstructions. they also interfere with frequencies of cordless phones.

yes you will.. wifi speeds are 54mbps or 108mbps(depends on your wifi router)..so you will definetly get the full internet speed

I would like to validate this!
What would be the best way to find the speed when connected

1. Machine connected Wireline to aDSL Modem.
2. Machine connected Wireline to Wireless Router
3. Machine connected Wireless to Wireless Router

I have noticed that my laptop gives slow download speed when connected to Wireless router using Wireless.

Thanks in advance!!

Slightly offtopic but...I am presently using WAG200G in bridge mode...I get good speeds on my desktop...but my laptop doesn't even give me 5kbps Tried a lot to figure out but in vain:huh::huh:

Back