which phone to buy ??? please help to choose

anuj kathuria

Regular
ISP
Airtel
so i need to upgrade from Nokia 5800i want a touch screen preferably with a qwerty keyboard i know that i don't want windows mobile because winmo 7 is coming and not blackberry because of data plans and no symbian because i already have oneso now i am left to choose from android and maemo 5 nokia n900with so many android handsets i am confused and also the various variants of android confuse me. android 1.5, 2.0,2.1 , and is there an android app store etc and also there are so many handsets.. xperia x10 and the whole of htc stable ,then nexus one ,motorola milestoneso basically i dont know the differences between all the android handsets and which is the best of them and compare which android phone to nokia n900 and then decide

HTC Legend would be my recommendation. I am not a big fan of Sony though their Xperia one is pretty cool.

I own the Nexus One that came with Android 2.1.

Google Android Market works in India. Though I just see the free applications in it. So i believe paid ones are not yet available in India.

maemo is dead because Nokia and intel are working on meego platform which merges maemo and moblin (!). :)

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

motorola milestone is a fine device but the processor in it is not very powerful. compare the specs of milestone and legend and decide between the two. i had rather buy HTC than motorola. but motorola is shipping milestone in india with indian maps preloaded.

not sure about htc. the default gps navigation app on android is google maps navigation. it requires constant data transfer as maps are loaded from google maps. voice navigation is not enabled in india yet.

i read that n900 is to get meego.... htc legend looks good but i doubt typing comfortability on 3.2 inch screen. even 5800 is 3.2 inch but will screen resolution makes a difference in keyboard size. i know capacitive will make typing better than 5800 though... maps don't bother me i'll never use them.how is the nexus one, better than legendpersonally i don't like the moto brandis there multitouch on android ?

i have not seen the legend. but it is pretty similar in nature to nexus one i believe.

it has the HTC Sense user interface which is pretty. i do not have it.

android has multi-touch. it works fine. not as smooth as the ipod touch my wife has. but it works fine.

as for typing. android support swype. once you get used to it, typing is pretty darn fast.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bLwxIwMFzR4

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

i would stay away from meego too for the time being as there is no clarity on launch date. there is no idea how much love it would get from the developers.

android is now considered to be an important market to cater too for any third party developer. iPhone if of course number one. blackberry and windows phone are going to fight for second spot with android.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Nokia and samsung are a confusing lot right now.

nokia has their symbian platform. and they are also involved in meego with intel.

samsung is making tons of android devices. but they are also working on their own bada platform.

HTC is doing it fine. they were big in windows mobile. they still are. but android came and they switched to it largely. with the launch of windows phone 7, htc would again switch back to winmob... they do have their own mobile platform based on BREW but it's not a rival to either android or winmob.

:D

in the end... third party developers are going to support the most popular platforms. and i believe iphone, android are going to dominate. windows phone 7 is looking pretty good but it would still cost money. symbian is going open source as well... blackberry is set to launch their os 6 this year. things are going to get even more complicated in the coming months. :)

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

i forgot to mention HP acquiring palm. palm is saved now. hp is now likely to spend big on making webOS popular. we might see them bringing pre and pixi in india in the coming months. that would be cool. palm webos is perhaps the best looking mobile platform right now.

having used the Xperia X10 , i highly recommend it . Excellent sound quality and camera plus wonderful screen . If reviews are to be believed , Legend suffers from the same poor quality camera in all HTC phones .

and Sony has a tendency to make buggy smartphones! i think both of their recent models aigo and another one had major software bugs at launch time :D

I'd take software glitches anyday over hardware one's . They can be repaired by one software upgrade .

but google does not have much control over what other companies do with it. do you know Android devices sold by AT&T in USA cannot download apps outside the Android market? because the feature is disabled by AT&T. chinese android phones have google services removed from them. it is all yahoo inside. :D trusting Sony is very hard. especially when it comes to high end hardware. :D

Back